What's in a (user) Name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well now I'm curious. What's she call you when she's mad?

She will usually run through the list of all my relatives until she gets to me.

"Dammit susanmindymeganjustin... Whatever the hell your name is!"

Something like that.

She gets it eventually. The only saving grace is I'm a Jr., so I can just pretend she's really mad at dad.

I was in the Field Artillery - The King of Battle. I'm always shocked when I sign up somewhere and it hasnt been taken.

Nice getting to know the background of everyone's name. (Thanks @RainPilot for pointing it out!)

I really wanted a creature that was from the sea, but nothing struck my fancy. I love to read (especially Fantasy & Sci Fi) so I decided one of those would work. I definitely didn't want to include the word "nymph" because it sounds oddly sexual. I really loved "nereid' which is a sea nymph in Greek mythology, but figured a number of people wouldn't know what that is. An "oceanide" is an ocean nymph, but that's a freakin weird word. I love the word "naiad" which has the double meaning of a river/spring nymph & also a female swimmer, especially an expert one. Figured if I included that with nyc so others would know a fellow city dweller was on here (& since it's an alliteration) that the user name would work.

My avatar is a pic I took of myself with Flat Stanley for my cousin's kid as a part of his school project. I was really sick & looked pretty awful. Since the requirement was to take a pic of the real you, I figured my mask would be perfect. I ended up liking the pic quite a bit since it's quirky & fun though I look pretty damn young in it with my hair pushed back & no make-up. (I just turned 44 in December.)

My avatar is much more interesting. If you've ever been in the MOF thread, the first post is a list of rules. Giving people a 40 is to be cherished.

What is the MOF thread?

Last edited:
MOF/NMOF is a ....thread?....in the Pub.
It has been split nearly 70 times now and has nearly 70 000 posts.

It started as Mask on Forehead or No Mask on Forehead, now Off topic is the only topic.

70 000 posts? I think a bit more. Each thread is minimum 15k, (the first couple hit over 30K!) and we are on thread #60!!!
Yes, no topic is the topic.

I'm a musician, string player, and my friend joked with me that as I got older I was getting more crabby. I thought about fiddler crabs...crabby fiddler...voila! I ran across the pic somewhere online and thought it was perfect. LOL

70 000 posts? I think a bit more. Each thread is minimum 15k, (the first couple hit over 30K!) and we are on thread #60!!!
Yes, no topic is the topic.
Sorry Jenny, typo. Meant 700 000. Please don't make me go MOF ...

Yeah had another look you guys are probably over a million posts now. Serious off gassing indeed

:cheers:

shall we banish you to the MOF thread?

This is a cool thread. interesting to see peoples thought process on how to come up with a username. As for mine its:
my last name 'chu' + scuba = chuba. A friend pointed out to me that my favorite phrase is "dude, man!" Combine all that together and you get chubadoodman!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom