Frog Kicks and Dodgey Hips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Altamira - I am quite painfully aware how the kindergarten song goes .... along with some additions that normally don't exist, and cease to exist in my case (lots of bone spurs in and around the lower femur, just missing contact with the patella, but not missing the muscles and what little is left of my tendons in both of my knees).

But that wasn't the question I was replying to the OP about.

I was replying to his partial question buried in his post about what is a modified frog kick.

In the end, DWW, Do What Works ... that doesn't hurt, and makes you go where you want to go

_R

Frog kick - hips don't move and knee's move to 90 deg

Modified Frog Kick - knee's don't move (kept at 90 deg) and it's all in the ankles

_R

I was thinking along those lines too -- or a modified flutter -- but I don't have hip problems so I'm not sure this suggestion will work.

Also.... it's only when you cut your thumb that you realize how often you use it. You say that the hips are not involved in the frog kick but I'm not buying it. I think i you had hip problems you would realize how involved your hips are in the stroke.

R..

My wife suffers from flare-ups of sciatica. For her a modified flutter seems to be the kick of choice, frog plays hell on the hips for her when she is in an episode. Not great for current but its a natural transition for her to move to full flutter when she needs speed. In a strong current there's probably not much sediment to be kicked up anyhoo.

When my hips get a bit achy, I transition from a frog kick to a "side kick." I use a similar motion to a frog kick with one leg, but slightly roll my body and use the top of my fin with other leg. I can perform this as a non-silting kick. It's also a fairly powerful kick that is still a load-kick-glide motion (nice for air consumption and small maneuvers). It has the benefit that you can alternate legs to relieve some of the repetitive motion fatigue/pain. These days it's my go to kick on a lot of dives. YMMV.

AdivingBel, I forgot about sidekick and I only have pain on one side, so this is another alternate for me, thank you.

Here is a video of a frog kick that is pretty much all ankle.

Suggest developing calf strength for endurance.
That's technically 'the modified frog kick'. Its designed for areas that are easy to silt, it's not as powerful as the normal frog kick. I find it works well if you are not wearing rock boots or similar, you need ankle flexibility.

I have met a great surgeon, and I am not scared of surgery. I was hoping that more progress could be made in re-surfacing hip joints, so I didn't have to get the metal piece that sets off airport security when flying. i keep researching this regularly to see what is the latest.
Have you investigated the Birmingham hip resurfacing? I have a friend who has done thousands of Birmingham surgeries. He says he has never had someone say they had wished they had waited. He did a Birmingham for the owner of my LDS. She is very satisfied with the result.

My flutter kick is very strong, ...//...
Someone hit a nerve over on another thread: Best open-heel freedive-type fin?

Have you ever tried freedive fins? I didn't really like my Mako Freedive Hunter fins at first, but there was something about them...

They are beautifully simple, one-piece, inexpensive freedive fins. Just too stiff! So I modified them. I can now forget bursts of speed, but they are ever so much more comfortable when "going for a ride". Best way I can describe it is a racing bike vs. a touring bike.

Any experience with long fins?

That's technically 'the modified frog kick'. Its designed for areas that are easy to silt, it's not as powerful as the normal frog kick. I find it works well if you are not wearing rock boots or similar, you need ankle flexibility.

I wanted to try fin techniques this weekend in my DC hotel, and I called ahead and they assured me that they had a pool, but neglected to mention it was an outdoor pool, and covered! I haven't been tricked like this since the Italian-hotel-promised-pool was filled with enough murkey chemicals to dissolve a body, (of cheap tippers no doubt).

Have you investigated the Birmingham hip resurfacing? .

Thank you for this tip, I am investigating this option now.

Someone hit a nerve over on another thread: Best open-heel freedive-type fin?
Have you ever tried freedive fins?
Any experience with long fins?

I have owned one pair of stiff fins since 1988, I never want to give up the power they give me, and I can always fin slower flutter style.
Will try different kicks at YMCA for researching this. Will ask if I can bring different fins too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom