1st dive @ Blue Hole, NM; gloves question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birddog1911

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all. About to be making my first dives at Blue Hole, NM, and I'm wondering about exposure. I have bought a good semi-dry suit, but don't have gloves.

I'm wondering about thickness that will get the job done. LDS has some 3mil, but I'm wondering if perhaps I should go a little thicker. However, 3mil would match up to my 3mil wetsuit, for other dives, if I think I need gloves.

Also, now that I think about it, my boots are 5mil wet boots. Should I think about a different type of boot, as well? I don't want being too cold to take away from my training.

Last edited:
Hello all. About to be making my first dives at Blue Hole, and I'm wondering about exposure. I have bought a good semi-dry suit, but don't have gloves.

I'm wondering about thickness that will get the job done. LDS has some 3mil, but I'm wondering if perhaps I should go a little thicker. However, 3mil would match up to my 3mil wetsuit, for other dives, if I think I need gloves.

Also, now that I think about it, my boots are 5mil wet boots. Should I think about a different type of boot, as well? I don't want being too cold to take away from my training.

I dove the Belize Blue Hole last year at this time. I was wearing a 3 mil wet suit and gloves that aren't even 3 mil and had no problem. Assuming you are doing the dive to 130 feet, remember that it is a short dive, only about 7 minutes at depth. Total dive for me was 29 minutes. Temp at depth was 76 deg.

Sorry, I meant Blue Hole, in New Mexico. I'll edit the OP for clarity.

I dont use gloves when I dive there but the water is 60 degrees so if you get cold easily than 3mm gloves are probably fine but if you are always cold than 6mm would be warmer.

I rarely wear gloves there either.If I do no more than 3mm, a hood is not a bad idea but I can take it or leave it as well.

I did do a dive In perch lake last spring where the water temp on the bottom was 42* I wanted my gloves and hood (they were in the back of the truck)

You will freeze your ass off with a 3mm wet suit if that's what you mean. It's 62 degrees all the way to the bottom. Students normally have a 7mm farmer John. I've dove in in a 7mm FJ and a well fitted 5mm suit and a couple of dry suits. Wear a good hood.

That said, I rarely wear gloves. It's cold initially but then it's fine for at least an hour when I'm in a dry suit. The only issue I have is on the surface if it is cold and windy. If they won't let me into the heated area my hands can get so cold I have a hard time getting the wrist seals over my hands (I can't grasp the seal).

A little dab of KY jelly on your wrists and your seals slide on or off with ease, latex or silicone it works great. Its the only way I can get mine off without tearing them, I wear 3x or 4x gloves. Big hands and sticky seals =trouble.

+1 on the sex lube.

Added befit If you leave a big bottle of sex lube on the tailgate of the truck no one will need either the truck while you are diving.

+1 on the sex lube.

Added befit If you leave a big bottle of sex lube on the tailgate of the truck no one will need either the truck while you are diving.
Warren do you have a p valve in that fusion? If so does it go through the skin? Did you cut the whole in the skin?I just bought a fusion that has a p valve under the skin but I would like it through the skin and I am a little nervous about cutting a hole in the skin. I have seen others just cut a dime size hole and pull it over the valve. I am scared my dime size whole will turn into a plate sized hole

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom