Idea for superior regulator bag for cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
Background: I've been looking for a smarter reg bag for a while. I was seriously thinking about buying the Armor double reg bag, but the price is just too much for me. Really, the price of reg bags in general, at $40-60USD has always seemed nuts to me. I have three reg bags, but never paid for one (one came with regs, one won at raffle, one came with gear off craigslist). Last week I decided to try a cheap compact camera-backpack and I think I love it.

Gear: Camera bag backpack by Amazon, $26

Why: Because I like organization and minimal spread of my gear (esp. while traveling), and because reg bags cost way too much for a small square bag.

Review: This bag easily holds my primary SM regs, O2 and one stage set. it also has a pocket that fits my travel tool kit, waterproof-ish pockets for small stuff in the main compartment, a flat pocket on the outside that might hold logs or passes, and two small side pouches that I don't know what to do with. The bag is padded on all sides of the main compartment with a plastic foam and a thin layer of cloth. I put some eyelets through the sides for ventilation to help the main compartment dry (it doesn't come that way). The straps on the bag feel cheap(I have cut them off since writing this post, now first picture is without shoulder straps), because the bag IS cheap, but nothing feels any cheaper than the reg bags I've used, and the zipper and padding feel quite a bit better, in fact. Of course, by spending a little more on a better camera bag, you could probably get an even better reg bag, and when this one quits I will probably do just that. It also came with removable dividers that I thought might be handy somehow, but I just pulled them out. Overall it seems like a really nice alternative to carrying two flimsy reg bags and a loose toolbox in my expedition bag.

Final note: I get nothing if you buy this, I'm only sharing my experience.

View attachment 397538
View attachment 397536
View attachment 397537

Last edited:
I am curious. Why do you feel you need a reg bag?

Because I use a large expedition bag for travel, and I need my regs protected during rough handling, protected from incursion by grit on site, and for easy removal if I decide I need to keep them safe (e.g. at a shady hotel where our gear is kept at the front desk, or if my bag is overweight and I need to pull them out). Mostly, though, for protection and organization both during travel and in my garage.

Because I use a large expedition bag for travel, and I need my regs protected during rough handling, protected from incursion by grit on site, and for easy removal if I decide I need to keep them safe (e.g. at a shady hotel where our gear is kept at the front desk, or if my bag is overweight and I need to pull them out). Mostly, though, for protection and organization both during travel and in my garage.
ever considered a zip lock freezer bag?

What is your criteria besides

"Why: Because I like organization and minimal spread of my gear (esp. while traveling), and because reg bags cost way too much for a small square bag."

_R

What is your criteria besides

"Why: Because I like organization and minimal spread of my gear (esp. while traveling), and because reg bags cost way too much for a small square bag."

_R

- protection from impact
- protection from (a lot) of dirt incursion on site
- must itself withstand rough handling on site
- easy accounting in hurried situation
- not unnecessarily large
- easy transport by hand out of main bag
- ability to carry all my regs
Bonus: ability to hold other supplies for organizational purposes

Nice find Aotus. For those who dont see the necessity, do you actually travel by plane when diving or just locally? If you travel by plane, a loose ziplock bag is pretty comical.
I learned a long time ago that a ziplock bag gets you through security very fast. And yes I laughed the first time I saw some one else plopping one down on the xray machine belt. This was in Australia and the traveller looked particularly grubby.

His only carryon was a large ziplock bag. The security guards looked at it, immediately saw what was inside and quickly waved him on. They opened everybody else's carry on and riffled through them. I stopped laughing at him after I thought about it a bit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom