Air Fare Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Streydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking for an excuse to get back to Cozumel. Found an AA flight to Cancun direct from DFW for $208. A quick 4 day trip will let me get my diving fix on. Southwest has had some good pricing but not for dates that fit my schedule, plus they do not fly direct. March 17th -21st.

Wow, seemed unusually low considering these dates are during the peak of spring break.

I had checked last night and the lowest price I could find was $340 so I jumped all over this.

Wow, seemed unusually low considering these dates are during the peak of spring break.
Yep, but empty plane seats are very perishable. Sale them or eat them.

Yep, but empty plane seats are very perishable. Sale them or eat them.
Don I understand the perishability of seats but the point I was alluding to was: Why would there be a glut of empty seats into Cancun at the height of spring break? Seems odd.

Maybe a lot of spring breakers are avoiding Cancun this year because of the increased violence of the cartel's lately?

Or economics or extra capacity due to the revised ATA. I really haven't heard but I am curious.

Don I understand the perishability of seats but the point I was alluding to was: Why would there be a glut of empty seats into Cancun at the height of spring break? Seems odd.
Perishable? As in any unsold seats will go bad like a rotten tomato - worthless. The cheapest plane tickets often show up a month prior to dates of travel, on whatever is left. The airlines have talented people controlling the supply to get as much as possible from demand, but random surpluses do show up.

Just looked at he same RT flight and it is up to $268 now, not too bad. Looking at my seating options there are over 40 economy plus seats available for a fee upgrade and a handful of middle seats on the flight there. The flight back has quite a few economy plus as well. They are wanting more than usually to upgrade to economy plus, up to $71.00. I would prefer to be close to the front but as long as I can get an aisle seat I a happy.

Back
Top Bottom