Halcyon wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony A.

Contributor
Reaction score
I keep hearing how streamlined the halcyon traveler/eclipse wing is but after watching the promo video of the traveler system on their website, it shows the wing tacoing around the tank big time! The wing was shown completely deflated, but still didnt look very streamlined. Any thoughts as im considering a traveler setup.

(and please no "suggestions" about other manufacturers stuff... I know whats out there and only looking for advice on this question). Thanks.

The traveler is 30# of lift. That's a big wing, if you're going somewhere really warm.

The Eclipse is available in a 20# version. That sounds a lot better for use in warm water and would be a lot more streamlined, I think. I use a 23# Hog wing for warm water/single tank and it is great! I had a 30# wing and I did not like how big it was, in comparison.

Gotta leave room somewhere between the tank and backplate weight pouches for the wing to go, so it is a little 'wider', therefore extends further up by your definition of "tacoing big time!"

It in fact is not 'tacoing big time!'. The exhaust valve is right where it needs to be to vent. Taco'd wings are generally way beyond the tank, in such a way it traps gas on the other side of the wing from where the exhaust is, as well, having the exhaust valve way out in the middle of nowhere (not backed by the tank itself).

Is it a LITTLE wider than other 30lb wings? Sure is.

_R

Little bit of wing fold around tank is ok. I don't consider 30lb eclipse wing "taco". Halcyon makes good wing, better than Oxycheq MkV which I also owned and a very decent wing to begin with.

I agree that H quality is exceptional, and I really do like the traveler system but with all the advice here about how important a streamlined wing should be, it seems this wing taco's more than just a bit. Notice the pictures below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170219-110854.png
    Screenshot_20170219-110854.png
    476.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Screenshot_20170219-111239.png
    Screenshot_20170219-111239.png
    489.9 KB · Views: 198
You don't like it? Don't get it. Simple.

The second picture is horrible and exaggerating your Taco .... the camera is below the diver.

_R

If they sold the traveler package without the wing, I would totally get it. But since its a package, im really trying to "convince myself" it will be fine but i just cant stop thinking of tacos

I havent heard anyone who owns a traveler setup dislike it, but im still on the fence. I guess I could stitch a small plastic clip on each side of the wing like Zeagle does on the ranger, and that will keep the wing from lifting up.

Why not just order the new CF plate/Webbing and Cinch system?

You might luck out with a different wing lining up with the plate to just use tank straps vs a STA

_R

Why don't you just buy a pair of breath-holding spider monkeys and train them to adjust your taco as necessary?

Carbon fiber looks nice and "should" be strong enough. Whats the price on it?

If I go to the trouble of training a spider monkey, I might as well get it to hold and swim my tank around so I dont need a backplate at all :wink:

Back
Top Bottom