New Drysuit owner with some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Ishmael_

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Scubaboard folks!

per some excellent advice via this board, I have purchased a USIA Techiniflex (front-entry w/silicone seals) that I am very happy with. thus far I have done 8 dives with it and now I'm trying to figure out some of the small customization choices that are out there. I do realize that there are not going to be any hard answers but I would like to hear peoples' opinions.

1. I have read several divers say that their USIA suits are a little baggy in the legs and they have found gators or ankle weights helpful. I have semi-heavy fins but still find myself with "floating feet". would either of these be a good investment, even if I just use them to get more comfortable with the rest of the suit and then lose them later on? what's a good weight for someone who is already a slow-moving surface swimmer? what do people mean when they say they use their ankle weights as "tank weights?"

2. My BCD has integrated weight pockets but I have heard some people say that eventually I'll need to upgrade to a harness. is a harness really so necessary/preferred that its purchase is inevitable?

3. Storage. it seems like the recommended way to store a suit is loosely rolled up with the zipper 2 inches open and to avoid storage on a hanger. this is to prevent weight being unevenly distributed and stressing the neck ring. due to space limitations in my studio apt. I would prefer to hang my suit. using some soft cloth rags I have been able to evenly distribute the weight, is this an acceptable way to store my suit long-term or are there other reasons to avoid hanger storage?

thanks everybody! I have a few more questions but I want to continue perusing the board to see if I can find the answers.

I have a Techniflex, as well.

Yes, the fit is a bit baggy. I've never had an issue with floaty feet. But I've been using heavy bat fins.

To store suit, use the blue USIA bag that it came in. Put suit face down on the floor. Roll it up loosely beginning with the feet. When it's all rolled up, flip it face up and fold the sleeves over the zipper. Put suit in blue bag. Done. I have a small place, which results in gear all over my living room. Just deal with it. The bagged suit doesn't take up that much room. Storing it hanging up is a Very Bad Thing.

1) ask around your dive club first to see if anyone has some you can borrow for a bit. using gators or ankle weights is like training wheels that most people stop using once they get more dives in. a more negative fin like jetfins, turtles, or hollis f1s can be helpful too.

2) you don't have to, but a heavy steel plate helps move weight off your belt/pockets. having a lot of weight in pockets/on a belt is cumbersome and can make you unbalanced. another option is to use tank weights/weights on a cam band around your tank or move some to trim weight pockets.

3) i hang dry my suit in the garage with a wetsuit hanger then store folded

1. If your fins are not sufficiently negatively buoyant (combined with a drysuit that is baggy in the legs), it is a perfectly acceptable practice to add some ankle weights in order to achieve the proper trim you are seeking while diving. It is not necessarily a sign of competence or lack thereof- it may be a sign of understanding your gear configuration and accommodating accordingly. If inclined to try ankle weights, I'd recommend starting out with 1.5 lb ankle weights on each ankle and removing those 3lbs. from your ditchable or trim pockets.

3. Whether you end up hanging or storing your drysuit in a bag, do yourself a favor (especially with silicone seals) and purchase some billiard talc (not baby powder, but real billiard talc)- your local dive shop should have some if they sell drysuits. If they don't, you can get online. After your suit is dry and prior to storing, liberally coat all of your seals with the billiard talc to prevent them from drying out and being compromised prematurely.

Hi _Ishmael_,

This is Kathy Long with DUI. In general drysuit divers carry more insulation on the legs. Check with your local dive instructor. Moving your weight a bit lower could help your trim and keep your legs down. The use of a weight harness allows the weight to be trimmed. Yes DUI does sell a Weight & Trim harness - DUI Weight & Trim System. Again your local dive instructor may have suggestions as well. Since your moving yourself forward by your legs, adding unnecessary weight at the ankles could cause fatigue which would not be a desirable effect.

As you also mention no hard and fast rules here. Just passing along information.

Best of wishes to you in your new drysuit.

thanks everybody, I appreciate all the advice!

Did you take a drysuit class? You should.

there are really a lot of little things you learn in a class with a good, experienced drysuit instructor. I've had diver who used a drysuit for dozens of dives and didn't realize how much they did not know until they took my class.

And i'll shout out to Kathy Long at DUI. My DUI FlexExtreme rocks out. Susan was kind enough to fit me and help me out at DEMA a couple of years ago. The suit is still awesome!

I've had DUI and USIA suits that were baggy in the legs. The best way to avoid floaty feet is to use your buoyancy compensator for it's intended purpose. Do not use your drysuit for buoyancy. Only add enough air to alleviate squeeze or to add fluff to your bunny suit to keep warm.

thanks for the tip Max!

Sheeper, I'm doing my DM right now so 90% of my dives are with my instructor. so I'm not going at it blind and fumbling my way through. but he's the only one I know who has a drysuit, so I figured I'd throw my questions out there to the community to hear some different points of view.

Back
Top Bottom