Happy Hunting Illinois!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

image.jpg
I cannot believe I have been missing out on this.

It actually took me a minute...:funnypost:
The best jokes are the ones that few actually get. Subtlety is sublime.

Looks like fun but from the number of fish jumping I doubt if they will make any dent in the population. What they should do is put out fake news releases that flying asiatic carp are an oriental aphrodisiac and also cure warts and that they are an endangered species. The price will shoot up and poachers will clean them out.

I doubt if they will make any dent in the population.
It's the same with Lionfish. The plus side is that it's giving peeps a reason to "go dive" while they "go fish". I think they should open up spearfishing for Tilapia, carp and any non-native specie here in Florida. I would love for FWC, aka the Florida Wildlife Commission, to do the same.

I think the lion fish hunting has a plus side. It is helping train natural predators. Once they start feeding on lionfish other fish will follow suit and things can rebalance.

A couple weeks ago I was doing a drift dive off Jupiter. The "guide" saw a lionfish and was lining up his pole spear. The lionfish turned and was staring at the pole spear. Bamm., A red hind shot out and took the lionfish headfirst and swam off with it before the guide even stabbed at it.

This goes along with a video I saw earlier this year of a large snapper who kept circling a lionfish until it saw an opening and took it head first.

I think the lion fish hunting has a plus side.
Then it has at least two plusses. :D :D :D Yours and mine!

I know at least three people who got their start in spearfishing through lionfish. Anything that gets people in the water is a good thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom