Using Hog 1st stage to drive booster pump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@RayfromTX how much helium are you planning on using? You don't want to pump 12/70 through them, but 21/35 is fine. I have buddies that have done it on a Rix SA6 for years, pumped thousands of cubic feet through it, and have 0 issues with it. The key is keeping it cool. They use a supplemental window box fan when pumping anything since it's hot *in Carolinas, now Houston*, but it works just fine.

The important part of this though is that you really want to be banking EAN32 for all of this. If you subscribe to standard gasses, which in my opinion you should, then all of your trimix comes from EAN32, and it will save your booster when making 50/50.

In that case, you won't be needing your booster until you start doing accelerated decompression and you'll be doing pretty low amounts of use on your booster. For that, I would put a valve going to that cheap welding regulator, and cut it out of the loop until you are done filling your backgas, once that happens, the banks will be lower than 4500psi, and you can open the valve to drive the booster. Compressor won't be able to keep up so it won't get up to working pressure of the banks and you'll be fine. The regulator should be perfectly fine with 300 bar pressures, it's just the gauge that will be very upset and not work properly if you overpressure it.

O-2%20fitting.jpg
I mix about 300 nitrox tanks a year, lease 2 O2 333 cu ft ABO bottles and PP mix 32% simple, yes it wastes a little pre mixed gas when 02 bottle gets below the required 450 psi for a 32%mix. I will exchange an O2 bottle with about 50 PSI in it. How many years will it take to make up the cost of a booster, LP compressor and piping? I made a stick and it is sitting here I might try it some day doubt it will save that much but it will save the yearly 85$ lease for the second O2 bottle. Been doing it this way for over 40 years. Here's the results of opening an O2 valve too fast with a new contaminated O2 gauge. It did get my attention in a hurry.

Last edited:
Hell no I started in 1966 in the Navy HEO2 my avatar is making our qualifying Dive at Dahlgren Virginia. Nitrox came a little later after I got bent and had to do something to keep diving. Still Diving @73 went yesterday got 2 big AJs and a couple Flounder. Ops 73 1/2.

This is what I ended up with but it was on sale at the time. Time will tell if I made the right decision. I sold the old compressor for 250 to help defray the cost. Running the piping and fittings into the house from the shop was the costly part but I'm happy that the noise is out there.

FREE SHIPPING — NorthStar Belt-Drive Stationary Air Compressor — 3 HP, 60-Gallon Vertical Tank | 60 - 79 Gallon Air Compressors| Northern Tool + Equipment

your rix will thank you :p

let us know how it works out

Thanks for your help

This is what I ended up with but it was on sale at the time. Time will tell if I made the right decision. I sold the old compressor for 250 to help defray the cost. Running the piping and fittings into the house from the shop was the costly part but I'm happy that the noise is out there.

FREE SHIPPING — NorthStar Belt-Drive Stationary Air Compressor — 3 HP, 60-Gallon Vertical Tank | 60 - 79 Gallon Air Compressors| Northern Tool + Equipment
I had one with almost similar specs (10 cfm at 110psi if I recall). Worked well for filling RB cylinders and even boosting into single 40s and 80s. Anything more than that and I had to watch that I didn't run it too long continously.

Back
Top Bottom