Drying + Storing Gear in Pacific NW conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filmguy123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok read through a bunch of old posts but can't seem to find some of what I'm wondering about:

I have a garage storage unit here in Portland, Oregon / PNW USA. Temps throughout the year are pretty moderate but in summer we can hit 100+ on some days, and overnight in winter have gotten historically as low as 17 degrees (though the majority of the time we don't get below freezing. This year in the winter we spent about a good week with lows in the 20s overnight, and highs around 30-32 during a snow storm).

Regarding storing scuba gear in the garage storage unit, I understand from past threads the bigger concern is ozone emissions. I don't have much in my garage - I keep a motorcycle in there and one container of oil and a can of WD40 but other than that not much in terms of solvents, etc. I also park my car in there. No fridge/freezer/etc.

Wondering more about the temperatures and what is considered "extreme" - would I be safe to store all my scuba gear in the garage year round? If not, what should I be sure to pull out to my limited apartment closet space?

Next, regarding post dive gear care: any problem on a 45-50 degree day with lows in upper 30s/high 40s overnight to rinse and then leave scuba gear drip drying in the garage for a couple days with a fan?

Sorry if it's a basic question, reading around here and google unless I missed something most info focused on ozone emissions in garages or extreme temps without really clarifying what might constitute those temps for scuba gear storage. Or the aspects of rinsing and drying in a semi outdoor space like that.

Thank you!

After a dive during the winter, my dry suit, bcd, and tank get rinsed with fresh water, then stored inside at the fire hall. Everything goes into the hose tower, and the heater is turned on to dry things out. Once dry I bring the gear home and store it inside my residence. Tanks stay at the hall where they are slow filled once they reach room temperature.

I have a 70 litre wash container (plastic garbage can) where all my other gear gets rinsed. Some gear will stay in the garage, while other gear such as regs, computers, dive light, will be brought inside and stored at room temperature.

In the summer, when temperatures are warm, everything is stored in my garage.

Divegoose

Back
Top Bottom