Coron, Anilao and/or Puerto Galera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeacockMantis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

We'll have 13 nights in April flying on Manila. The initial plan was 4 nights Anilao,4 Puerto Galera, 4 Coron and 1 Manilla for our flight back. However Flying to and from Coron will leave us only 2 (maybe 2.5) days diving in Coron, due to the flight back.
So the question is, should we include all 3 plAces or stick to 6 nights Coron and 6 nights (Anilao or Puerto Galera). And if we have to choose between Anilao and Puerto Galera, which one would be best.

Thanks in advance,

As a general rule I think 4 nights at a dive location is a bit too short considering the overhead of packing up, travel, and time-to-fly. Especially someplace like the Philippines where getting around tends to take some time. I personally would stick with 2 places. You'll probably see more simply because you'll get to dive more. Also more relaxing and you'll be less likely to need a vacation after your vacation. Since Anilao and PG are both macro places I don't think you would be losing too much by picking one (but I've only been to PG, so don't have an opinion which.)

I agree with scaling it back to 2 destinations for that time. Travel days can be an adventure in themselves there, spend more time getting to know an area, diving and relaxing :)

I loved Coron so highly recommend that of you are into wrecks! Unfortunately didn't get to anilao but imagine that would complement coron nicely! Great trip!!

Coron is a MUST if you like wrecks. BTW, the conditions of some of the wrecks are deteriorating fast so hurry up before it is too late/dangerous.
Anilao is the macro capital in the country but you are stuck at the resort for everything.
PG is an all rounder + top side activities.

My suggestion:
Coron + Anilao/PG

Anilao and PG both have very nice diving, both nice marco, since they are just across from each other. Topside there is a big difference: Anilao: resorts, divers, rich people from Manila. You can dive, eat, sleep. PG: party, girly bars, drinking on a floating bar in the bay. Very different vibes.

very true. This is why I do not think I will ever go to PG. In Anilao the rich guys from Manilla are only a pain on Saturdays drinking..............There was quite a bit of people from Singapore during our week.

PG: party, girly bars, drinking on a floating bar in the bay. Very different vibes.
Interestingly over last 20yrs I had met plenty of divers who never set foot into those places or partying in PG.
And they love the diving in PG.
If you stay on Big La Laguna Beach orCo Co Beach then you probably don't even know those "places" ever exist in PG!!!!
We have girlie bars in HK and it does not bother me a bit.

Centrals, how does this compare to Anilao in terms of diving?

Centrals, how does this compare to Anilao in terms of diving?
1. Varieties! From fast drift(not for the inexperienced) to 5m benign shallow coral garden.
2. Less important but could be significant if you have non diver or young family with you. The dive boat only go out for one dive and then return to the shop unless it is a special trip to Verde Island.

Make no mistake if you like macro then Anilao is THE place.

Back
Top Bottom