Aruba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We're traveling to Aruba over Christmas 2016, and would be interested in recommendations on a dive center and any other thoughts. We're staying in Oranjestad. We're both newly-certified SDI Open Water divers with just six dives logged. Any recommendations appreciated! Thanks.

I dove with JADS who did my Daughters open water certification. I thought they were pretty good. Small boats so not a large crowd, pick up/drop off at the hotel, but it's about 30/45mins south from the main part of Aruba. The dives were drift dives so doing the safety stop was a challenge for her w/o a reference line. The DM we were with, just held on to her.

One thing which seems common is that most shops aren't too good about getting you back on time (e.g. Before lunch on a morning dive). Things are done at a very leisure pace as I don't think many run afternoon dives. Most days I was out of the hotel by 7:30/8:00 and not back till 2. Unlike Grand Cayman, out by 7:30 and back by 12:30 the latest.

I also dove with Jads, great team, mostly shallow dives. I only did AM dives and they were fine. A few wreck dives - They have a zero refund policy for no shows - so make sure you can dive... Agree with the previous comment they tell you to be there at 7:30 - boat left between 8 - 9 - which was ok - and you get back when you get back...

I dived with Clive quite a few years ago, and if I were to go to Aruba again, he would be the first one I would check with. On the other hand, unless his operation has changed since then, he may not be the best choice for a brand new diver. He was the total operation--he took your reservation, picked you up at your hotel, fitted any gear you needed, helped you onto the boat, skippered the boat, got in the water with you for all of some dives and part of others, helped you back on the boat--everything. When I said "Part of others," I am talking about drift dives, where he would anchor the boat, join you for half of the dive, turn around, swim back to the boat against the current, start the boat, haul anchor, and come and pick you up when you surfaced.

If he is still dong that, I would suggest that new divers would want a larger operation.

I dove with several different places when I was there in 2014. The only one i remember (happily) was JADS. My gf did a discover dive with them that i tagged along on - they were patient, calm, and knowledgeable both on the surface and underwater. The DM pointed out all those little things a new diver might miss. I would absolutely recommend them and if I go back to Aruba they would be my company of choice.

I dived with Clive quite a few years ago, and if I were to go to Aruba again, he would be the first one I would check with. On the other hand, unless his operation has changed since then, he may not be the best choice for a brand new diver. He was the total operation--he took your reservation, picked you up at your hotel, fitted any gear you needed, helped you onto the boat, skippered the boat, got in the water with you for all of some dives and part of others, helped you back on the boat--everything. When I said "Part of others," I am talking about drift dives, where he would anchor the boat, join you for half of the dive, turn around, swim back to the boat against the current, start the boat, haul anchor, and come and pick you up when you surfaced.

If he is still dong that, I would suggest that new divers would want a larger operation.

He still operates the same way, and amazingly does drift dives like that.

We just got back from diving with him and I can't say enough about his operation, diving, locations, service, etc. *IF* you're an experienced diver, save the brain damage and book with Clive. One day we had 2 other divers, and another 3 divers and another was me and another guy.

My next dive trip to Aruba will absolutely be with Clive.

To the OP, did you go, who did you end up diving with and how did you like the operation and diving? Thanks in advance!

We did four dives while in Aruba. The first two were reef drift dives with S.E. Aruba Fly N Dive. I would highly recommend this outfitter. Absolutely no complaints. They picked us up at the hotel, and the experience was top-notch. The second two dives were wreck dives with Unique Sports. The first wreck dive was a soft penetration of the wreck, and the second wreck dive was no penetration. These dives were also great dives, but the dive boat, gear, and the experience in general didn't rise to the level of that provided by S.E. Aruba Fly N Dive. And I did find it disturbing that the dive master from Unique Sports violated the no-touch rule, and caught an octopus and encouraged the divers in the group to come over and touch it. For that reason I cannot recommend, and would not dive again with Unique Sports. On the other hand, I would highly recommend S.E. Aruba Fly N Dive, and if we go back to Aruba we'll dive with them again.

Back
Top Bottom