Sola buying help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh man I opened a can of worms the I called to order today lol. Now I'm on the fence about the Kraken 2800. Cant find much about them but the nice guy at the shop told me to look into those before I order. Anyone have any info or thoughts on the Kraken line of lights?

Oh man I opened a can of worms the I called to order today lol. Now I'm on the fence about the Kraken 2800. Cant find much about them but the nice guy at the shop told me to look into those before I order. Anyone have any info or thoughts on the Kraken line of lights?

Don't need to think to hard great product. Impressively flat burn curve, easy one point charge battery pack, extras packs available, fast charging, sealed heads that can withstand flooding,sets the standard for protection of the expensive end. Good build quality, travel packaging Big bang for the Buck that includes a bonus narrow beam, lots of red lots of uv/blue. easy two button control.
You found the nice guy at the shop your instincts are good with him ..

Does anybody have any idea on Kraken v Light & Motion Sola lights, I'm looking to buy new video lights soon and would love to hear some opinions. I have been using sola 1200 for a few years so looking for an upgrade.

I can't speak to the Kraken. I have dual Sola 2100s (I think these have since been replaced by newer models)....I've been using these for about 2 years. Things I like - easy to switch between spot/flood, relatively quick charging, can get 2 dives per charge in both cold and warm water (even when leaving the lights on for most of the dive on the lowest brightness setting). 3 brightness settings, charge indicator lights on top of the light head. Easy on/off as well as lock mode for transport. Main thing I don't like is the price (high)...but I guess like everything else you get what you pay for. I am doing most of my diving in New England USA in relatively poor visibility (15-20 feet) with occasional warm/clear water trips....these lights have performed well shooting both macro and wider angle. The first 2 shots below were pulled from video footage taken over the past few months here in New England with these lights and a Hero4 Black. Caribbean lobster and moray were from Little Cayman in August.

Some would argue that the non-removable batteries are a con - I haven't found that to be the case so far. I guess the main risk is that if the batteries fail you are in trouble. Since they charge quickly (I would guess no more than a hour if close to fully drained) and you can get 2 dives on one charge, it's been pretty easy to keep up with charging even when I've done 4-5 dives per day on liveaboards or on high volume dive trips. I've used them in water as cold as the low 40sF and as warm as 87F - performance has been great in both extremes.

Isle%20of%20Shoals%20Go%20pro%20-%20June%202017%202%20%286%29-XL.jpg

GOPR0806-1-XL.jpg

GOPR0420-2-XL.jpg

GOPR0533-10-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Both products line have some excellent choices when upgrading from what you have. The Kraken Sports and Sola product are recognized for quality build and honest specs. Kraken is recognized for 3 things in addition, value for dollar spent, lighting heads that are sealed to reduce water damage, and great customer service. I am sure if you give some details of your needs, expectations and budget you will get more advice here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom