Rec Diver splurge? Cheapo, Petrel 2, or OSTC Sport

Which computer would you go with for a rec diver who plans to dive 2x a year. No tech diving ever.

• Aeris A300 (Oceanic VEO 2.0) - ($200 + $90 cable)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Deep6 upcoming computer ($140 + $20 cable)

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Used Shearwater Petrel 2 (around $500)

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • New OSTC Sport (around $560 USD new. Seems unlikely to find used.)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • None, just rent/use what shops have

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I'm a recreational diver with only 17 dives done, but really enjoy it. I plan to dive at least once per year on vacation, and maybe 1 other long weekend trip.

About me:

- Plan to never do tech diving. Will stay within 30m and NDL limits always unless something goes wrong.
- May try nitrox
- Would like a nice screen, but not sure it's worth the $400+ splurge compared to a basic dive computer
- Customizable gradient factors seem nice - I think I want to run around 40/80 or 40/85 if possible
- Definitely prefer to run Buhlman, or very close to it...

Hi @ls1dreams

Was just wondering how, with your limited experience, you decided on 40/80 or 40/85 as your GFs of choice for recreational diving. These choices are solidly middle of the road in the spectrum of decompression algorithms, there are likely many that would be close

Agreed, it is unfortunate that they believe there is no longer enough benefit to open source their newer computers. But I'm interested in why that takes the OSTC off the table for you? As far as I know the Shearwater lineup isn't open source either. Happy to be corrected on that.

I really don't buy the argument that buying an OC/CC capable computer will be the last one you ever need. If I ever go down the CC path, a new computer is going to be only a small expense compared to the rest of the required investment,

I want my primary computer to be trimix-capable (I don't dive CCR yet, but I do dive OC with trimix), have a good screen, Buhlmann w/GF, and have AI. When the Perdix AI came out, it was the first computer on the market that had everything I want, so I bought it. Prior to that, the OSTC 4 was on the table because I had understood it to be open source and the ability to modify the code of the computer has some appeal to me. At the same time I was considering the OSTC, Shearwater did not have an AI computer, so they were both on the table if I decided to buy another computer. If they updated the OSTC 4 to also have AI, and it used the same transmitters as Shearwater, Oceanic, AquaLung, etc. are using, it would be back in contention. If they commit to releasing the OSTC 4 code, and keeping the public code up to date, it would be back on the table. If my SeaBear H3 (now, my backup computer) were to die, I would consider the OSTC 4 as a replacement (if it was open source). As things stand now, if my H3 died, I would replace it with a second Perdix AI.

As long as the OSTC is not open source, the hassle of buying it from Europe, the unknown of how responsive customer service would be if I never needed service, and the fact that they don't even fully support Imperial units on the OSTC 4 (and don't seem bothered by that) are all reasons why it is not on the table for me any more. Not as long as Shearwater keeps up with their top notch computers and customer service.

As for going CCR, I fully expect that my Perdix AI would carry right over to use with a CCR. One of my main dive buddies dives a JJ and has been using a Perdix as his backup, but is now upgrading to a Perdix AI so that he can also use it for single tank recreational diving on those kinds of vacations. A CCR will probably run as much as $10K, but even so, a $1K computer is not chump change, and a Perdix AI very well COULD be the last one I ever need. :)

I have been waiting for Deep 6 since....How long are you prepare to wait for its appearance?
Just buy TWO cheapo(eg. Zoop, Puck Pro) and go diving.

I have been waiting for Deep 6 since....How long are you prepare to wait for its appearance?
I found the mares puck pro new for $127. I think i will pick it up and use it as a back up or loaner once the deep six comes out.

I have been diving two Mares Pucks for years, simple and have a back-up so minimise the chance of missing that next dive.

I have been diving two Mares Pucks for years, simple and have a back-up so minimise the chance of missing that next dive.
Two is one and one is none!
Sensible move.

:popcorn:also known as get one for the price of two

Seriously though, if your backup runs a different algorithm, you run the risk of being, as someone said elsethread "a man with two watches": never quite sure what time it is. If you have two of the exact same thing, subjected to exact same dives etc., their chances of simultaneous failure are not quite what you might think. And not in a good sense.

(Edit: my vote for is one puck and two bottles of mid-level malt scotch, but that option's not availabe.)

Seriously though, if your backup runs a different algorithm, you run the risk of being, as someone said elsethread "a man with two watches": never quite sure what time it is. If you have two of the exact same thing, subjected to exact same dives etc., their chances of simultaneous failure are not quite what you might think. And not in a good sense.
Simultaneous failure would most likely infer a firmware issue, unlikely on modern dive computers. It would be very unlikely to have simultaneous hardware failure attributed to the model.

I see a mix of computers failing due to hardware faults (including flooding) and expired battery issues. Many computers do not hold the saturation levels when the battery is removed. And when on a week long trip there is the chance that the battery will test fine at the beginning and fail at some point. I tend to swap the battery before the trip, but that new battery may be faulty/not fresh. On my last live-aboard three divers had computers fail! I saw battery remove and 'hard reset' and then a continuation of diving, same day with no residual details...

I run two computers with the same firmware version, they can still give different results as they will be at slightly different depths.

With regard to your watch metaphor it is not a matter of knowing the 'correct time' it is more taking the most conservative time to ensure an action can be completed (probably the watch showing the later time). If running different algorithms then the dive should be done on the most conservative computer for that dive. Little point putting one into deco (and then not doing the stops) if you expect it to be a back-up.

Computer failure is quite common.
I used to dive with two Uwatec Aladin until one of them expired so I bought a Oceanic Veo 180 as a back up. WHY?
1. I have been using the Uwatec Aladin since day 1 for over 18yrs.
2. The Aladin is more conservative than Veo180. I don't see there is any problem of using two computers of different algorithms as long as I follow the conservative one.

I run big computers for living. IME if your computer failure is quite common, the most cost-effective solution is to find a different vendor.

Nothing lasts forever and a lifespan of two identical devices in identical circumstances is likely to be very similar. @Centrals: I'm curious as to why/when one of your Aladins expired and the other one didn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom