Another Bad Shark...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And this is a free diver, noteworthy in part because if accosted by a shark he can't just 'hold his ground,' even if just to watch the shark and see what it does. When he ascends, he needs a new breath. He's got to head up whether a tiger shark is messing with him or not!

Late in the video, it's interesting he pokes the shark to run it off, but doesn't pull the trigger even though he obviously could've shot the shark had he wished. I'm not advocating for needlessly killing the shark, although I've got a feeling 'need' here is one of those 'where you stand on an issue depends on where you sit' (or float) issues. But I'm asking:

1.) Would shooting the shark in the back, as he could've easily done, been more likely to chase it off without coming back, or to antagonize it into further attacking?

2.) What would most of you have done in this situation? I've never spearfished and some of the situations some of you get into are really something.

Richard.

I think shooting it in the back would have scared it away and would have resulted in the loss of a carbon fiber gun and reel.. $500 to $800 maybe. I have only shot two sharks, so I don't really have a lot of experience to fall back on.

It was not necessary to shoot that shark, if it came back again and performed another vertical approach with any intensity, then it probably would warrant shooting a shaft down his throat, but this would be very unusual. Kinda like - keep your ammo dry until you really need it.

Also, not only can the freediver NOT stop and hold his ground (for any length of time) but the simple act of swimming rapidly toward the surface is an unnatural motion and sharks absolutely have a tendency to chase anything that looks like it is running.. (like a lot of predators). Many, many times, I have had to stop or slow or modify my ascent when coming up in order to deal with a shark - basically to poke or fein aggression and pray it works.

Almost always, when a shark realizes that it does not have the advantage of surprise and you begin to move aggressively toward it and you are carry a big stick.. this is enough to cause them to at least discontinue the pursuit and re-think and re-evaluate the situation. It is very important to let the shark know you see it, keep your eyes on it and you want to act aggressively not defensively.

When there are multiple sharks around and they are excited and one keys in on you and starts to follow you on ascent and they get into the vertical attack position, it is a very strong stimulus for the other sharks to join in and compete and join in on the pursuit - or at least begin to "track" the potential interesting subject. So when you see them initiate the vertical pursuit mode, you want to be extremely careful and definitely poke the heck out of them if they give you the chance. It is not simple, because sharks are not stupid and they know which one you are watching and will most definitely try to close in from behind. multiple sharks that are being competitive (if not coordinated) make it much more "exciting".

They are cunning animals. The one experience I had this year to really study them was with 3 big bulls that were definitely calculated in their stalk of us. Almost like they were pack hunting. The three would circle us at almost an equal distance and peak in and out of visibility. As soon as we made our ascent, sure enough and as I expected, one darted right up underneath me before hitting my shark shield and peeling off.

They are cunning animals. The one experience I had this year to really study them was with 3 big bulls that were definitely calculated in their stalk of us. Almost like they were pack hunting. The three would circle us at almost an equal distance and peak in and out of visibility. As soon as we made our ascent, sure enough and as I expected, one darted right up underneath me before hitting my shark shield and peeling off.

Were you spearfishing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom