Travel Friendly BCD (but not a "Travel BCD")

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why's that?

We have used Cressi's equipment in our diver training equipment stock and they are the least reliable. The regulators need adjust and servicing much more frequently than the other brands we have in addition to their lower performance than the rest. Our students always reach for the SP equipment first before the rest of the brands. The BC's have same issues in addition to their being uncomfortable (we get complaints from our students about the fit and comfort of the BC's). Their computer, the "Leonardo," was the only computer that needed to be sent back to mfg. for replacement. The computer is also difficult to figure out and use by the students, it has only one button as well as its algorithm seems to be overly conservative even when compared with the Suunto computers we have in our school (we have Cobra, Stingers, D9, Vyper, Mosquito).

In contrast, we have equipment from SP (BC's, regulators), Atomic (regulators), AL, Mares and they are more reliable and better performing than Cressi's. We do have issues with Mare's regulators more frequently than the others but not as bad as Cressi's. We will be replacing Cressi and Mares as we can afford it by mainly SP and also Atomic. We have standardized on SP BC's already and have phased out practically all of the Cressi's BC's (we have only one left).

This doesn't say anything about their free diving and spearfishing line, I am only referring to the scuba part here.

Scubapro advertises this on the new(er) Lighthawk webpage.
The BC carries no inherent buoyancy so only minimal ballast weight is required.
i'm not really sure what that means though since it seems you'd still need to compensate for you and the buoyancy of your tank - most tanks change during the dive.

The Knighthawk looks a little big, does it pack up well?
In reality there is not a lot of difference in most models. I have a BP/W with 23lb wing and aluminium plate and the Knighthawk. I don't find there is a lot of difference overall. My last live-aboard at the Galapagos I traveled with wetsuit, drysuit, 2 reg sets, service tools and kits, two masks, replacement drysuit seals, and more. The dive bag was still under the 23kg limit. I prefer to have robustness and back-up rather than miss the dives, the trips can be expensive. I am prepared to pay extra for baggage, its relatively cheap.

Also, do you have any trouble with the air bubble shifting around with the Knighthawk?
No issues at all.

Well you convinced me to take another look. I just poked at it in the shop, maybe I'll have them throw a tank on it and give it a try...
They produced a 'professional' model Zuma that had 50mm webbing and stainless steel d-rings and is generally more solid. I have a friend with one, its a better option than the consumer model.

Scubapro advertises this on the new(er) Lighthawk webpage.

i'm not really sure what that means though since it seems you'd still need to compensate for you and the buoyancy of your tank - most tanks change during the dive.

I expect they are saying the BC is neutral so does not need 'additional' weight to sink. I have seen 'luxury' BCs that have taken 3-6lbs to get off the surface.

So for those of you who dive travel BCDs like the Zuma, Oceanic BioLite, Cressi Air Travel, Zeagle Covert/Scout, DiveRite TravelPac, etc. - do you do any cold water diving those BCDs? Or do you have an additional BCD with more weight and lift capacity for cold water?

Thanks, this has been very helpful.

My wife and I travel frequently and have been using the Hollis SMS-75 for myself (in both sidemount doubles and single backmount config) and the Hollis Ride (Now known as the H.T.S) for her (she's used it for primarily for backmount singles, but has done backmount doubles on it as well).
I can pack them both up into an extended stay sized polycarbonate rigid suitcase with all of our fins, boots, masks, snorkles, gloves, 1mm diveskins, smbs/spools and be right around 50lbs +/- depending on if we pack the wreck reels.

She had the original Aeris Jetpack for about 6 months and 20 dives and absolutely hated it.

So for those of you who dive travel BCDs like the Zuma, Oceanic BioLite, Cressi Air Travel, Zeagle Covert/Scout, DiveRite TravelPac, etc. - do you do any cold water diving those BCDs? Or do you have an additional BCD with more weight and lift capacity for cold water?

I have a Cressi Air Travel, and no, I do not do any cold water diving. I am a destination diver and I have tried to tailor my gear to that style of diving. I would probably not recommend that BCD for extremely cold water (or ice) diving, but I have dove with it in a 5mm wetsuit and it was fine.

i do not do cold water diving. I play hockey on really cold water.

I have used my Scout in relatively cold water, (down to about 60 degrees) with a dry suit and single steel LP 104 in fresh water. At the beginning and end of the season I regularly use a 5mil suit and LP steel 80 and it does fine. One of the features about it I really appreciate is the PFS sizing which allows me to adjust the cummerbund as needed. That is also one of the reasons I wanted them in the shops rental/teaching gear at the shop I teach at. I do have more heavier duty BCs available also which I mostly sue for doubles or larger singles. (The Scout is only for single tanks) Some of the divers that like cold/winter dry suit stuff more and have ordered thru the shop have asked for the Covert wing on the Scout for a little more lift. They seem really happy with those. It added a little to the cost but Im not sure how much.
I haven't gotten past using the Zuma in the pool or with a 1.5 mil suit and alum 80 in a quarry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom