Komodo liveaboard and Bali land base dives in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles below

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im thinking of doing land base diving in Bali from 5-7 days in October. I prefer having a small group of divers on the liveaboards. It will be my 2nd time in Bali. However, I received my Advanced there the 1st visit with only 30 dives. Now, I have 300+ and ready to revisit and enjoy the diving. It's been 3 yrs since I visited Bali and been diving the Caribbean, Bahamas, Hawaii, and Mexico.
I probably will stay in the Candisasa area for my land base diving. Also, I'm leaning toward a liveaboard before diving in Bali. I'm looking into the MV Empress ll since it has nitrox and I can get there from Bali to Gili Trawangan, Lombok. However, their schedules stopped in Sep. So, I'm not sure if it's available or it's just too early? The other liveaboards that I'm looking into are the KLM Moana, Mastro Aldo, and Tatawa. The 4 listed doesn't have nitrox and port out of Labuan Bajo, Flores.
Have any of you stayed and dove with these operators to Komodo? Is it a good idea to do the Bali mainland before the liveaboard or after? I have done a short 3 days liveaboard in California and I was exhausted after the trip and my back was stiff from the bed, but I enjoyed it! So, I thought I could be well rested for a week before heading to the states.
Any advice would be great, thanks!

Dear "Bubbles below",

i would like to give you some input on the liveaboard option and time scheduling.
I am the general manager of Komodo Dive Center and owner of the Mastro Aldo liveaboard and can therefore give you some more information on our vessel :wink:

First of all, i would definitely do Bali BEFORE coming to Komodo. The diving in Komodo is more diverse and "better" than in Bali (i worked in both places for many years), so better safe the best for the end of your trip!

When booking a liveaboard, the comfort is a very important point. Especially when being "stuck" at sea for a few days with no way to escape. All our cabins have proper big mattresses, AC, ensuite/private bathroom and toilet. Our chef will prepare 4x meals a day and is well trained in western, Asisan and Indonesian cuisine.
As our boat is a catamaran boat, the common areas are fairly spacious. Single hull vessels sometimes seem a bit "cramped".

We do have a scheduled FULL week trip departing from Labuanbajo on the 7th of October. That might be a bit short on time but dont worry, there is always the option to join our 3N/4D trips. In that case the departure would be on the 10th of October.

How we operate:
Here in Komodo we need to take safety very serious, therefore we never take more than TWO buddy teams on one dive guide. Also our experienced dive and boat crew knows very well how to handle the famous current affected waters of Komodo. We will choose dive sites that are suitable for each individual diver and its experience level. This means that we do not mix beginners and advanced divers but rather go to different entry points of the individual dive site. This will ensure fun and safety for everyone.

Regarding the BOAT SPECIFICATION:
Boat name: KLM MASTRO ALDO
Building year: 2012 in Sulawesi
Building type: Catamaran, iron wood
Size: 17 x 8 meter
Engines: 2x Mitsubish 4d31 and Isuzu Generator with 31,500W
Tanks: 2000l Diesel, 4500l fresh water
Safety equipment: GPS, Navionics, Mobile phones, VHS radio double channel, Oxygen, life rings and vests, compass, fire extinguisher and first aid kit.

Our boat has facilities such as:
1x Main deck teakwood cabin at bow, double bed, en-suit bathroom
2x Main deck teakwood cabins, twin beds, en-suit bathrooms
2x Lower deck cabins, double bed, outside private bathrooms
5x LG AC units (at nighttime we use fans instead of the AC)
Big dining room that is convertible into window lounge
Bar at dining room
6m2 stainless steel kitchen
Diving deck and compressor filling station
Sun deck at upper deck and at top deck
TV, Laptop, PlayStation 4 and other entertainment units
WiFi hotspot (at places with reception - north and central Komodo!)
2x Speed boats for dive operations (Yamaha 40hp)
2x DIVE compressors (BAUER, L&W), 1x Air dryer/Cooler unit.

Please feel free to contact us for any further information, we would be happy to assist you in planning your dive trip.
WhatsApp: +62081236303644
Email: info@komododivecenter.com

Kind regards,

Moritz Drabusenigg
Komodo liveaboard Mastro Aldo-2.jpg Komodo liveaboard Mastro Aldo-6.jpg Komodo liveaboard Mastro Aldo-7.jpg Mastro Aldo liveaboard-86.jpg Mastro Aldo liveaboard-90.jpg

Im thinking of doing land base diving in Bali from 5-7 days in October. I prefer having a small group of divers on the liveaboards. It will be my 2nd time in Bali. However, I received my Advanced there the 1st visit with only 30 dives. Now, I have 300+ and ready to revisit and enjoy the diving. It's been 3 yrs since I visited Bali and been diving the Caribbean, Bahamas, Hawaii, and Mexico.
I probably will stay in the Candisasa area for my land base diving. Also, I'm leaning toward a liveaboard before diving in Bali. I'm looking into the MV Empress ll since it has nitrox and I can get there from Bali to Gili Trawangan, Lombok. However, their schedules stopped in Sep. So, I'm not sure if it's available or it's just too early? The other liveaboards that I'm looking into are the KLM Moana, Mastro Aldo, and Tatawa. The 4 listed doesn't have nitrox and port out of Labuan Bajo, Flores.
Have any of you stayed and dove with these operators to Komodo? Is it a good idea to do the Bali mainland before the liveaboard or after? I have done a short 3 days liveaboard in California and I was exhausted after the trip and my back was stiff from the bed, but I enjoyed it! So, I thought I could be well rested for a week before heading to the states.
Any advice would be great, thanks!
We Love Bali and Komodo , fabulous diving , best in the world in my very humble opinion.

We took the Mermaid liveaboard to Komodo from Bali to Bali which was fabulous. Instead of time in Indonesian airports, charming as they are , you are sit on the deck of the LOB sailing past tropical islands. This is not a cheap option but it was wonderful. We had about 200 dives each by then and we were fine in the currents. Bali is a perfect choice , the Liberty wreck , Manta Point etc etc can all be dived from Candidasa.

It's hard to know which order to so the trip in. We never feel tired now after LOBs and it's great to have something else to do after the trip. However because it's Komodo , I would be inclined to get your diving legs first , get over jet lag , get used to the time zone in Bali first.

Whatever you do have an amazing time.

Thanks,
I did look at the Mermaid ll, however, it sold out. You are right it's better to get my jet lag out of the way. So, we are diving and staying in Tulamben for 3 days. It will be a full moon in Tulamben, so night diving will be amazing! Than to Candidasa for 7 nights and dive 4days Pandang Bay, Nusa Penida, Manta Point, and Tekepong/Mingpang before the liveaboard . I did get in contact of the Empress and they will put a schedule out for us to dive for Oct 14-21 and they will try to fine more divers for the date we requested. The other Liveboard that I looked at was the MV Moana out of Labuan Bajo and they have a schedule for 6 days to Komodo Islands. Empress stated it's best to meet them in Lombok since they are base there, so fast boat to Lombok...Afterward, we are staying 2 nights in Kuta before heading to the states.

Greeting from Indonesia @Bubbles below!

Our itinerary is a bit longer than you are looking for, but I didn't see any restrictions on your travel dates. So, just throwing it out there.

We sail Bali-Komodo-Bali so you don't have to catch any domestic flights. Nitrox is available onboard, dive groups are 4:1 and we only have 8 guests max. Our captain has been sailing Adelaar in Komodo for 20+ years and our cruise director worked land based in Komodo for many years before coming aboard as our cruise director, we know the area well. We operate year round and have 2 cabins available for our October 16th sailing (it's a confirmed sailing, so no need to worry about whether the trip will go due to lack of passengers).

Feel free to contact our office or your favorite dive travel professional for additional information. Although she's a luxurious boat you'll find the price is a good value for the money. Email: info@adelaar-cruises.com

Wherever you dive travels take you have a wonderful time!

I contacted the Empress ll and they are putting a schedule for me and my dive buddy. We just need 4 more people to join us to make it a GO!
The Empress is not a luxurious liveaboard, however, it has a hydro chamber, Dive lift, free nitrox, and free WI Fl
I'm staying at Sheraton Senggigi on Oct 14 until Oct 15 when they will collect us at 10am for the liveaboard. Here is the itinerary:

Empress ll liveaboard : 20 dives
Liveaboard Empress ll Oct 15-22
Lombok Komodo Lombok(Bali, Indonesia)
Sat Oct 15: Gili Trawagan @ 2:30pm : Turtle Heaven, Trawangan Slope
Sun Oct 16: Long Reef, Tanjung Pasir, Satonda
Mon Oct 17: Gps Point, Castle Rock, Crystal Rock, And a beach BBQ
Tue Oct 18: Sarong Batu Bolong, Makassar Reef,And a Night dive at Pulau Kalong.
Wed Oct 19: Komodo Dragons Trekking, Tatawa Kecil, Padar Kecil, Lehok Sera, night dive: Lehok
Sera Bay near a coral reef and BBQ dinner on boat
Thur Oct 20: Manta Alley, Gili Banta, Sangeang Jacuzzi
Fri Oct 21: Tanjung Pasir, Haji Reef, Waterfall Trekking
Sat Oct 22: Lombok
It would be cool if you can join me!
I'm either flying in from Bali to Lombok on Oct 14-15 or arriving on a speedboat and staying at Sheraton Senggigi for the night departing for the liveaboard.
The liveaboard itself is not luxurious but standard with 6-7crew w free Nitrox and WIFI. It's $1650 on a shared cabin/bathroom. Cabin E is a single cabin $1750.
Cabin D is the only one that has en-suite for $2100 which I have reserved w my dive buddy. Komodo park fee is $55 pay at check-in and alcohol not included.
Happy Diving and be safe!
Evy

I found 3 different transfer to Bali. Since I'm in Candidasa I'm going on the speedboat to catch the liveaboard from Padang Bay, Blue Water, the day prior. When we come back from the liveaboard, I decided we are going to fly back from Lombok to Bali. Here is the dilemma I have, there's two operators: Garuda and Lion Air. It takes Garuda 1 hr to get to Bali and Lion Air takes 25 minutes... Why the big difference in flying time? And the prices at $34 vs $16... I was expecting $50-100. Can someone tell me if this is a true fare? I'm a little skeptical about the fare and flight times!

Attachments

• IMG_2311.PNG
    IMG_2311.PNG
    167.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2309.PNG
    IMG_2309.PNG
    93.4 KB · Views: 93
The original MV Empress was a more or less tec liveaboard until the owner decided to sell it and retire. How many dive boat in the world has a chamber on board? And the lift was particularly useful for any divers.
I believe most of us who had been on this boat had fond memory and wishing Capt Vidar a happy retirement.

We provide special Flores & Komodo Trekking package for those who want to have the great trekking experience on amazing island of Flores and meet the Komodo Dragon with low prices and best deals. Komodo Trekking Tours prepare special tour package for every traveler such as Trekking adventure,flores and komodo tours also honeymoon package.We will bring you to the great trekking spot, amazing snorkeling spot, beautiful beach, also the traditional culture of Flores island. Select the best Komodo tour packages arrangement wich suitable as you want and make your vacation unforgetable.

Suggest flying Garuda. They give an extra 23kg sporting equipment (dive gear) NO charge. Tell them you have dive gear at check-in. The longer flight may indicate a stop on the way. Garuda has some form of in-flight service (depending on duration). Lion gives you NOTHING.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom