is there a shortage of job in the commercial diving industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The marina I work for hired a dive company to do some work last summer. They performed the work over 3 trips over the course of 4 or 5 months and showed up with a new crew every time.

Talking to the owner he was complaining about the high turnover in the industry, he said that's rare to get people to stay after the first time they get scared. The pay was really good though, the lead diver said he was making 100,000/year.

The marina I work for hired a dive company to do some work last summer. They performed the work over 3 trips over the course of 4 or 5 months and showed up with a new crew every time.

Talking to the owner he was complaining about the high turnover in the industry, he said that's rare to get people to stay after the first time they get scared. The pay was really good though, the lead diver said he was making 100,000/year.
great to hear! cant wait to start

It's probably not the best career path you could choose in terms of security. That's not why people do it. If you are not a recreational certified diver yet (that's what it looks like) then you have a llllloooooonnnnnngggggg way to go. Start diving, see how you like it. It's a great hobby.

It's probably not the best career path you could choose in terms of security. That's not why people do it. If you are not a recreational certified diver yet (that's what it looks like) then you have a llllloooooonnnnnngggggg way to go. Start diving, see how you like it. It's a great hobby.
see i wish i could do that, but i live in louisville kentucky, not much suitable diving water around here. the way i see it, i love swimming, so why wouldnt i like diving? i mean i understand theres alot more to it then that, but somewhat similar.

Diving is not, at all, like swimming, although there is some swimming involved in diving. You really need to give scuba a try to know whether you can, and will, continue to pursue the activity. It's the most fun thing I get to do (in polite conversation), but that's not the same experience that everyone else reports.

Do you know what he meant by "the first time they get scared"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom