Info and Discussion...Roatan Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

109 feet? On the South shore we like 'em shallow.

Here's one at 65fsw, the Mr. Bud, a shrimper:

"Before"
Mr_Bud_2.jpg

and "after"....
182f.jpg

and my favorite, the SHORE DIVE of the Prince albert Wreck, a 140' tanker lying in 35 to 65fsw...

P1010655.jpg

A snap of me on the PA Wreck, reading the Chicago Sun Times, which an amazing number of people saw published...
timmy016.jpg

There are 4 principal wrecks (placed) on the South side, 3 are often used as dive sites.

In that the South side is protected from storms, the wrecks are placed very shallow and are intact (except for the DC3 which is in tatters)

The DC3, "before"...
aabra003.jpg

and "after"...
P5010100.jpg

@Doc Thanks for sharing those great pics and illustrating the history of these sites. I am not a wreck fan but the Prince Albert is quite spectacular with its tangle of colourful soft corals on the fore and aft decks. It is a "must dive" for anyone visiting the south shore.

I do not find Mr. Bud to be nearly as impressive but it makes for a great training dive. That said, the surrounding reef is quite vibrant. Since the mooring is frequently occupied, we will drop in at French Cay Cut and move through the southeast corner to reach the wreck. It's a nice piece of real estate and the ridge seems to be an expressway for eagle rays. :)

@Cajuncru Diver I agree that the top of Mary's Place is far more interesting. We saw three octopi on our last night dive there. They make their cameos towards the end of this video: Scuba Diving in Roatán, Honduras - December 2016 .

I have heard that the cracks were once quite spectacular but have suffered tremendous abuse from the dive traffic. I have certainly seen them deteriorate in the two years that I have been diving on Roatan.

I have heard that the cracks were once quite spectacular but have suffered tremendous abuse from the dive traffic. I have certainly seen them deteriorate in the two years that I have been diving on Roatan.)

Yes, we have observed numerous changes over the last 15 to 17 years of diving the reefs. Some due to diving pressure, some due to earthquakes, some due to pollution---but still a wonderland under water.

Last edited:
I am not a wreck fan but the Prince Albert is quite spectacular with its tangle of colourful soft corals on the fore and aft decks. It is a "must dive" for anyone visiting the south shore.

I do not find Mr. Bud to be nearly as impressive but it makes for a great training dive.

It's not the "wreck" it's the critters that the structure attracts.

Study the PA Wreck with slow care. Note the dramatic variation in soft and hard Coral growth that is obviously dependent upon Solar exposure.

At the Mr Bud, spend time slowly searching under the hull. I have found things there nobody can name.

@CajunDiva There are no spots on Roatan that I inherently dislike and it will be many more years before I can say that I have done them all. That said, I am inclined toward the less trafficked areas, especially during high season.

Pirate's Point offers a similar experience. It is a slow drift between CCV and Parrot Tree. There are cleaning stations everywhere which attract all kinds of interest.

Pirates Point in the afternoon with sunbeams piercing the waves... +++

I must say after I learned to go sloooow I've come to immensely enjoy the Prince Albert and the incline up to the front yard to the east of her, at Coco View. Almost as good during the day as the night when they are often fantastic! Last stay at CCV I think I took 4 boat rides, and one of those I dropped on the wall on way out.

I've also gone with the Reefhouse crew and have a couple of favorite sites to the east; Pine Tree (I think, my log is not handy) which is very similar to pirates with a plethora of fish, and Port Royal Gorge a beautiful wall of coral, where squid are frequent visitors on safety stop. And fewer dive boats at that end :)

We would all do well to listen to Doc's advice and go SLOOOOOOOW! The discoveries can be amazing :)

Going back to CCV in two and a half weeks. Echo Kevin's view of the Prince Albert and incline to the front yard. As the sage of CCV, Doc, says, slow and steady wins the race. Also fond of the reef tops at Mary's Place and Calvin's crack. We can get away from the group and still know where they are at while seeing very cool, small stuff.

Rob

With just a little patience, the reward in Roatan can be so great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom