Ready....aim....click.....oh crap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know whether they could be used for video but doubt it unless there's a way to shoot video in a RAW format. RAW captures the electrical signal produced by every single photosite of the sensor & saves that info. It only becomes a photo after being run through a RAW converter (software program) & the better converters have a lot of adjustments available. I use Photoshop which incorporated Adobe Camera Raw as a plug in. As far as I know Photoshop Elements also includes it. You can learn more about what RAW is by clicking on the link near the bottom of this page "Understanding Digital RAW Capture".
Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

As for my quick edit all I did was adjust the sliders to the right of the image to what looked best. Once you have used the program for a while it really is a quick way to bring out the colours & details but there are several more sets of fine tuning adjustments available in other menus.

Camera Raw 9.1.1  -  Canon PowerShot G9 2212017 10503 PM.jpg

Get close. Get closer.... 1" to 12" make the best pictures. Often nurse sharks and eels are shot at inches away. Makes for great shots. Don't be afraid to get close. Close the distance very slowly.

No more than 15" away for wide angle reef shots. You want plenty of light for great colors and composition.

Use strobes, light is everything in getting great shots.

Get low. Get lower. Shoot up from eye level or below. Never shoot down.

No fish butts. Head shots with eyes in focus. Don't chase fish, you will end up with fish butts.

Be aware of the background. Ugly backgrounds makes an ugly pictures.

Get eye level or below to take pics of turtles.

Go slow to find the really cool small stuff. Take your time and get a good focus.

One finger on a dead rock is ok even when you have great buoyancy control.

Don't be a THAT photographer, Wait till all other divers have a look, then evaluate the subject and set up the shot with the most pleasing composition.

Shoot in RAW for the most flexible/quality post processing.

I use Lightroom for processing all shots.

Reactions: Dan
Thanks for all the advice! I think I have fairly good buoyancy control (wife says it's great but what does she know...lol) Yes I can be totally motionless and can control my shot with my breathIng, I hate Hate HATE to touch any coral or even dead rock (imho there is no dead rock) I am just not experienced with drift diving enough. Almost all of our diving is with no or minimal current . We will be trying Cozumel again in July and really want to take my camera and get some good pics. I take my best shot of each trip and enlarge it and hang I on the wall.and didn't want a blank space. It is so cool to walk down my hall and remember each trip. Bill and DeeDee

Thanks for all the advice! I think I have fairly good buoyancy control (wife says it's great but what does she know...lol) Yes I can be totally motionless and can control my shot with my breathIng, I hate Hate HATE to touch any coral or even dead rock (imho there is no dead rock) I am just not experienced with drift diving enough. Almost all of our diving is with no or minimal current . We will be trying Cozumel again in July and really want to take my camera and get some good pics. I take my best shot of each trip and enlarge it and hang I on the wall.and didn't want a blank space. It is so cool to walk down my hall and remember each trip. Bill and DeeDee
Colombia Reef is a photographer's dream. The current has been very slow to nonexistent every time I have been there, and there are beautiful coral heads that come up to within 6 or 8 feet of the surface. On a bright sunshiny day it's an aquarium dive.

As a professional and vacation shooter, I'll tell you the only way to get good is to shoot, shoot, shoot.

you need to learn proper settings, of course, but once you do that, practice, practice, practice.

shooting underwater has it's own set of difficulties, learn to anticipate your shot, don't wait for it to happen, or it will be too late.

A few tips:
  1. Don't take a camera along until you've done at least 100 dives AND mastered buoyancy control (Student drivers should not attempt to Drive, Eat a Burrito, and put on make up the first time they hit the freeway.) Hint: The camera is a burrito in this example
  2. Get a strobe (or two). UW photos without external lighting are pointless 99% of the time
  3. Until you can get a good picture in Camera, no amount of Lightroom editing a blue photo will make it look good. (See #2)
  4. Learn your cameras settings and controls above water.
  5. Always take a test shot before getting in the water. (lens cap anyone?)
  6. Only touch your O-rings if they are dirty. Over fondling of O-rings stretches them out and leads to floods
  7. The rinse tank is for rinsing, not storing. More camera flood happen in the bucket than anywhere else

A few tips:
  1. Don't take a camera along until you've done at least 100 dives AND mastered buoyancy control (Student drivers should not attempt to Drive, Eat a Burrito, and put on make up the first time they hit the freeway.) Hint: The camera is a burrito in this example
  2. Get a strobe (or two). UW photos without external lighting are pointless 99% of the time
  3. Until you can get a good picture in Camera, no amount of Lightroom editing a blue photo will make it look good. (See #2)
  4. Learn your cameras settings and controls above water.
  5. Always take a test shot before getting in the water. (lens cap anyone?)
  6. Only touch your O-rings if they are dirty. Over fondling of O-rings stretches them out and leads to floods
  7. The rinse tank is for rinsing, not storing. More camera flood happen in the bucket than anywhere else
Dave, you wouldnt be referring to me on number 5...as in our dive at Salt Water Park......

George Saltwater June 25 2015.jpg

Notice the camera is not ready for shooting, strobes folded in. Thats about all you can do with it when you kick out on a long surface swim in the current, and drop down only to find out that your lens cap is still on...Fortunately my face doesnt show how irritated I was with myself. Thanks for recording that for posterity Dave!

And this is what happens when you forget to connect the Hotshoe to your Strobes... An awesome moment spoiled by a rushed camera setup.

Themis 5-15-05 (22) (Custom).jpg

Dave, you wouldnt be referring to me on number 5...as in our dive at Salt Water Park......

View attachment 399313

Notice the camera is not ready for shooting, strobes folded in. Thats about all you can do with it when you kick out on a long surface swim in the current, and drop down only to find out that your lens cap is still on...Fortunately my face doesnt show how irritated I was with myself. Thanks for recording that for posterity Dave!
Did that a couple of weeks ago. As I was dropping in I was unfolding and turning everything on and saw "black". Gave the universal "dumbass" signal pounding my fist to my head...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom