Frozen 2nd Stage-Low flow question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Diving at Dutch Springs. Water temp was 40F. Mk25/S600. After about a dozen breaths, S600 starts 'partial free flow'. About 1/4 flow. Only way to stop is to surface, turn off air, exhale into reg to thaw. Happened twice. Had an Air2 as alternate-worked fine. Any ideas?

Buy that g250 back from me.... :p

What is your IP (125 for cold)? Metal or plastic air barrel? Metal or plastic orifice? FWIW, I am not a fan of mk-25 or s600 in cold water. Seen way too many perform poorly.

Curious what others say...

what @rhwestfall said. Not a fan of either of those regs or designs for cold water, especially if it's plastic barrel and/or orifice. Lower IP may help, but may not

IP was 145.

Did you try backing the cracking pressure off a hair?

Nope. Changed for a Mk17 with an A700 after that - no issues.

There are several people here that dive with the Mk25/S600 in the cold mountain lakes. The S600 needs to have the metal housing/barrel for cold water. The polymer plastic isn't the best for cold water, but it is good for tropical waters due to corrosion build up of salt water. We set the IP to 135 for the Mk25. The cracking effort of the second stage is set to around 1.4 instead of 1.0-1.1 for cold water.

what @rhwestfall said. Not a fan of either of those regs or designs for cold water, especially if it's plastic barrel and/or orifice. Lower IP may help, but may not
@tbone1004 I hear some feeling the plastic orifice may actually reduce an icing potential due to is being so smooth. I am undecided on this issue...

@rhwestfall I'm not a scubapro guru, so you guys will have to field that one on your own. I don't have to worry about issues like this with my Poseidon's :p I don't think the guys in Sweden know how to make a regulator that isn't good for ice diving...

Back
Top Bottom