Epoxy/vinyl for DIY weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laughing about some of the responses.

Thin weights (cast only partially thick in a larger mold)? Stack one on top of the other... We cast 4 pounders and 2 pounders and 1 pounders in the same mold. Need a three? Stack a one and a two. Need a five? Stack a one and a four. No biggie.

Slipping weights? Doesn't anyone teach students to put a half twist in the belt after its stuck thru the first slot? Make a half twist and stick the end thru the second slot. It'll never ever slip. That's if you're too cheap to buy a few three bar sliders.

Avoid weights that have one slot side-to-side. They need sliders for every weight.

Vinyl coated weights are for protecting swimming pools. Shot bag belts are even better.

Because I change weights a lot, due to different tanks and freediving, I use a pocket belt which makes changing weights around easy and keeps them in place.

I do have a freedive belt, when I won't be tank diving, and on that I place the weights and hold them with a screw. I have a couple of small detachable weights to adjust if needed.

I am not a fan of shot as it leaches too much lead because of the movement of the shot continually abrading each other.

Bob

I have decided to try and make my own weights. I plan on pouring them into tin cans or something similar. (Yes, I know all the hazards)

Anyways, does anyone know of a good sealer to give the weights a nice coating similar to the vinyl coating on commercially availible weights? I was thinking an epoxy would probably seal it good, but a nice vinyl would look nicer. Plus I could color code the weights. Yes I know-->:dork2:

What is your reason to coat them. Hard weights are terrible and hard on the bones.

Because I change weights a lot, due to different tanks and freediving, I use a pocket belt which makes changing weights around easy and keeps them in place.

I do have a freedive belt, when I won't be tank diving, and on that I place the weights and hold them with a screw. I have a couple of small detachable weights to adjust if needed.

I am not a fan of shot as it leaches too much lead because of the movement of the shot continually abrading each other.

Bob

Short segue (one freediver to another): if you want to make a great gilet (centered back weight) grab an old plastic tank backpack, drill a hole in the top, and fill it with lead shot and then plug the hole. Add additional weight as needed to the harness. It's comfy, never slips, and gives better trim than a belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom