Severe vomiting on Bonaire dive trip 2-2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jazz71188

Registered
Reaction score
3 divers - 2 had sudden onset all night vomiting and diahrrea and chills after 3 days diving at Bonaire. 3rd diver became ill 24 hours later- same symptoms. 3rd diver vegetarian- did not eat same meals. Anyone else?

It sounds like Norovirus, that infects the water supply - so it doesn't matter if you are a vegetarian or not.

Thanks Kathy! The 4th person - non- diver- did not get sick.....

Yes- we used the rinse tanks at the air tank drive thru at Buddy Dive- which had separate tank for regulators.... good point!!

It sounds like Norovirus, that infects the water supply - so it doesn't matter if you are a vegetarian or not.

That is why I never put my regs or mask in a rinse tank, and why I drink only bottled water on the dive boat.

Yes- we used the rinse tanks at the air tank drive thru at Buddy Dive- which had separate tank for regulators.... good point!!

I have never seen cleaner looking rinse tanks anywhere than those a Buddy drive through. Did you report the illness to their office? If it is coming from Buddy, there should be others.

Norovirus has been making the rounds stateside. Looking at the CDC site, the virus seems to peak around February. Would make sense that a popular destination for tourists would suffer the same kind of stats. So sorry!

I have never seen cleaner looking rinse tanks anywhere than those a Buddy drive through. Did you report the illness to their office? If it is coming from Buddy, there should be others.

I view the water in the regulator or mask rinse tanks at all dive shops/boats the same way I do the water in the kiddie pool. While it might look clean, I sure as hell am not going to put it in my mouth or regulator/mask.

There was another diver at Buddy who was sick- with a different group... she thought it was food borne also.....

Back
Top Bottom