Mk17 vs Mk17 EVO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KlixTrio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I was just wondering if theres a noticeable difference between the two. It says improves cold water performance by 30%, is this actually true? I will be diving locally in fresh water, temps in the early season can be a few degrees above zero. Is it worth it to spend the extra $80? Thanks!

If it gives you a better feeling, go for it. My experience is that freezing has more likely to do with operator error than with equipment issues.

SP had to do something to spur new sales. It has been around since 2006. They keep going and going. Now they can discontinue it, stop support, and force new model purchases...

Hi, I was just wondering if theres a noticeable difference between the two. It says improves cold water performance by 30%, is this actually true? I will be diving locally in fresh water, temps in the early season can be a few degrees above zero. Is it worth it to spend the extra $80? Thanks!
I'm not sure about the extra $80, the EVO is the new model, SP only produces that MK17 now, unless you're seeing the option to buy either or from someone who still has the older version.
I'd say the most significant change is the angle of the ports, hoses route a bit differently now.

SP had to do something to spur new sales. It has been around since 2006. They keep going and going. Now they can discontinue it, stop support, and force new model purchases...
lol oh the big evil SP, we hate them!

The MK17 has a stellar cold water reputation. I have no idea what the "evo" means, but it suspiciously sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
It's just an improvement to make it even more tolerant to colder water, just to the body, it is still the same reg internally/mechanically, nothing to worry about.

lol oh the big evil SP, we hate them!

I have been diving 25+ years, and 90+% of it and 95% of my wife's diving years has been on ScubaPro regs. MK-2,3,5,10,10+,15,17, & 20 firsts, and 109/156/g250/g250graphite/g250v, g200/g200b, G250hp, Pilot/Air1/D300/350/400, s600, 080HP, & Air2 (all except the first generation), seconds to name the various stages I own, and multiples of many.

I am impressed with what they used to be as a company....

According to ScubaPro...the Evo is "more compact"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom