Big guy... big tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob is Chipola Divers and Edd is Cave Adventurers. They are in the Marianna area and cater to the cave diving crowd but either are ow friendly. They are about 1.5 hours north of PCB. You could stop on the way down or the way back.
Cool, thanks for the info!

Side mounting on a boat can be a PITA for the crew having to carry four tanks on the boat instead of two. I've done it on liveaboards with great success, but I doubt I would do that at a resort.

Ah, didn't think about that, but, of course, I know very little about side mount at this time. Thanks for the tip.

I have dove with all different size larger steel tanks. Currently my favorite are Faber 117s. They are the same size as a steel 100 just fat. With that being said I would test/rent out something before you buy them. Also there is no rule that you must buy 2 tanks of the same size either.

Well, after reading responses, researching, thinking, and discovering Memphis actually has a dive shop, that doesn't fill past 3000psi, I decided to get 2 Blue Steel Faber LP120s from Leisure Pro. They had a good price and free shipping, which arrived in 3 days. They are heavy for sure, and their buoyancy is, rounded 4 pounds negative filled, and 4 pounds positive empty, so it doesn't save me any dive weight really, but it will supply me significantly more gas, which will hopefully prevent me from cutting people's dives short anymore. I was really hoping to find the LP in galvanized, but the only one Leisure Pro had in LP was hot dipped galvanized LP85s.

Thanks for the guidance and tips everyone.

Edit... link for the specs for the tanks..

Blue Steel Scuba - Cylinder Specs

Faber Low Pressure Steel Tank

Last edited:
..., and 4 pounds positive empty, so it doesn't save me any dive weight really, .

If you dive in cold water, this isn't great. Same as AL80. I am surprised LP steel tank can be that much positive empty. I think they may list the spec wrong.

If you dive in cold water, this isn't great. Same as AL80. I am surprised LP steel tank can be that much positive empty. I think they may list the spec wrong.
I doubt I ever do cold water diving, because I can't find a wet suit to fit my big ass (56" chest). I'll find the specs and edit this with them.

Edited my above post to have the specs, but here they are again...

Last edited:
I believe Leisure pros weight specs are wrong. All the large steel tanks are at most 1# positive, with valve, when empty. The Faber is 0# negative when empty and 9.5# negative when full.

Well, after reading responses, researching, thinking, and discovering Memphis actually has a dive shop, that doesn't fill past 3000psi, I decided to get 2 Blue Steel Faber LP120s from Leisure Pro. They had a good price and free shipping, which arrived in 3 days. They are heavy for sure, and their buoyancy is, rounded 4 pounds negative filled, and 4 pounds positive empty, so it doesn't save me any dive weight really, but it will supply me significantly more gas, which will hopefully prevent me from cutting people's dives short anymore. I was really hoping to find the LP in galvanized, but the only one Leisure Pro had in LP was hot dipped galvanized LP85s.

Thanks for the guidance and tips everyone.

Edit... link for the specs for the tanks..

Dont wory about the pain on the tanks it is tough stuff.

Your numbers are definately off. first 100 cuft is 8# so you sould see around 9.5# empty to full. My faber or OMS lp120s are about -1> -11

Heree is the huron #s the last 2 numbers are the empty adn full buoyancy's 0 > -9

the faber OMS 121 is actually a 125 8" 29" tall and 45# empty

OMS 121 (125) 2400 +10% 125 8 29 45 0 -9.5

That's what I'm wanting. It costs me a ton for the 3 of us (and more when my youngest is old enough) so I want as much dive time as possible!

Some of those big tanks are extremely negative; do your research well before buying. The big heiser 140 is a whopping 28 lbs negative full. Perfect if you love crawling across the bottom!

Dont wory about the pain on the tanks it is tough stuff.

Your numbers are definately off. first 100 cuft is 8# so you sould see around 9.5# empty to full. My faber or OMS lp120s are about -1> -11

Heree is the huron #s the last 2 numbers are the empty adn full buoyancy's 0 > -9

the faber OMS 121 is actually a 125 8" 29" tall and 45# empty

OMS 121 (125) 2400 +10% 125 8 29 45 0 -9.5

I'm getting some tank nets to help protect the paint as well.

I'm not going to defend the numbers. The tanks are heavy as hell, but what about the link I gave from blue steel for the specs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom