Info and Discussion...Roatan Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the pics doc.

My son and me on the Mr. B

Yes, excellent advice indeed! As a relatively new diver, I still have scuba ADHD and need to force myself to slow down. Since I am always toting a camera, I can be easily distracted by all the shinies swirling around me. That said, I am getting much better at spotting the creepy, crawly, pinchy, nudi, blenny thingies that abound. :D

But the fact that you carry a camera contributes to the quality of your buoyancy and trim and enhances your abilities as a diver. If you want to shoot any decent photos or video, you must learn to control your body movements. So there's that :rolleyes:

Since Pirate's Point seems to be a common favorite, here's an example of what you might see there:

Albino Seahorse.JPG

EvilOtter: Try one dive a day without the camera. See if air consumption is better, seeing things improves and if you just feel more zen-like and relaxed. I do this every trip because it reminds me each day to slow down, stop worrying about the perfect picture and that if I do, my air lasts a lot longer when I do have the camera. On first first trip to Indonesia in December my air consumption was 700 psi worse with camera because so many new critters to photo. Got better after camera free dives and I could apply these principals to camera dives. Yes, you will see more and wish you had the camera, but your memories will be awesome. Also, I do this because my wife threatens to throw out the camera if I become too obsessed with it. She and I both do love the camera-free dive each day.

Rob

Also, I do this because my wife threatens to throw out the camera if I become too obsessed with it. She and I both do love the camera-free dive each day.

What a brilliant idea! This is a perfect compromise. I always feel pressured to bring the camera because we have these fun group trips and I like to shoot video and make a movie of the trip for everyone. But after a while it becomes like work and I find myself actually WANTING to dive without the camera. So I think your suggestion would help me out a great deal...for different reasons - thanks!

Thanks for the helpful tips! There is no question that I use more air when filming (I prefer video to pics), however, this has never been a problem on previous dives. I am also lucky that my fiancé enjoys taking photos with an Olympus point and shoot, so I am in no danger of having my toys taken away from me. :)

CajunDiva: You scare me. You equated diving to where it almost "becomes like work". Please, please, please, stop filming for others if it leads to the dreaded, "it feels like work" syndrome. I'm sure there is a support group for this and countless studies on how this diagnosis can be treated.

Enjoy!!

Rob

We're off to Media Luna to enjoy 10 days of pampering and excellent diving. I will leave you with a parting shot from the lovely south shore of Roatan...take your time, go slooooooooooooow, and you will find things like this:

Nudibranch.JPG

You guys keep this thread rolling while I'm gone! There are MANY dive sites in Roatan, and many of you have pictures...share them. See you soon :poke:

Back
Top Bottom