Differences in cavern vs cavern+intro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also at the Cavern level you do not "have" to be in full on cave gear. Recreational gear with some minor tweaks is more than fine for Cavern.
The OP is already diving bp/w, doubles, a drysuit and can light. Taking cavern in some other gear doesn't make sense.

Maybe it's just me but I think GUE Cave 1 is too big of a jump for someone who has never been in an overhead, learned how to run a line, etc.

If your fundamentals are solid you won't have an issue in C1. The first day is pretty much a cavern course anyways. You'll learn along the way how to run line and not swim into rocks. If your fundamental skills are not dialed in I would argue that going into an overhead environment isn't a good choice.

The problem with a cavern cert is that all the things that can happen on a cave dive can happen on a cavern dive. There really isn't much difference between the two environments if the dive goes pear shaped.

The problem with a cavern cert is that all the things that can happen on a cave dive can happen on a cavern dive. There really isn't much difference between the two environments if the dive goes pear shaped.

For better or worse the psychological "overhead" is less in the cavern (the 130ft rule really does keep you pretty close to the surface). By day 3 of GUE C1 you are going to be past the daylight zone and in a cave. Some people are stressed by that and I can empathize. For those divers, even those with mad skills, cavern is a better stepping stone. Keeping the anxiety level in check can take time and practice, staying "close" can certainly help.

"Maybe it's just me but I think GUE Cave 1 is too big of a jump for someone who has never been in an overhead, learned how to run a line, "

Nah if your instructor gives you that tech pass you're good to go, you're allowed to be really bad at running the reel in the class

"Maybe it's just me but I think GUE Cave 1 is too big of a jump for someone who has never been in an overhead, learned how to run a line, "

Nah if your instructor gives you that tech pass you're good to go, you're allowed to be really bad at running the reel in the class
Maybe at first but you damn well better be competent by the end.

If your fundamentals are solid you won't have an issue in C1.
... <snip> ...
If your fundamental skills are not dialed in I would argue that going into an overhead environment isn't a good choice.
This is something I've been thinking about more and more. My minimum requirement for myself was rec pass and then lots of doubles dives to get more comfortable in them (for whatever nebulous definition of "comfortable"). Maybe aiming for tech pass is the better way to go since it would be far more objective in comparison to what I have in mind.

This is something I've been thinking about more and more. My minimum requirement for myself was rec pass and then lots of doubles dives to get more comfortable in them (for whatever nebulous definition of "comfortable"). Maybe aiming for tech pass is the better way to go since it would be far more objective in comparison to what I have in mind.
I would work on the tech pass locally before taking cavern+ intro or C1. A good non-GUE instructor is going to notice all the differences between that rec and tech pass in the cavern+intro course anyway.

Tech pass in hand you can decide whether you want the "all or nothing" commitment of C1 or the potentially more fluid approach of hiring an instructor for 5 or 6 days and doing cavern+ something. C1 gets you at least one other committed buddy with the same background. 5 or 6 days for cavern+ something relies on the instructor more to set something up. If you were in FL this would be pretty easy to coordinate, flying in poses more issues with suitable cavern+ something buddies.

This is such an important point that frequently gets overlooked, and is one of the reasons why a solid cavern course is so important in cave training. The minute you're in a silt-out, your beautiful cavern becomes a cave. The training you get should reflect that fact.

This is such an important point that frequently gets overlooked, and is one of the reasons why a solid cavern course is so important in cave training. The minute you're in a silt-out, your beautiful cavern becomes a cave. The training you get should reflect that fact.

Very true! I know some divers who spend time in the Ginnie Ball Room, and think they can't silt out a 'Cavern'.. Then you go to a site like Paradise.. where you can get to ~95' and could easily loose site of daylight, and the line if somebody decide to play a game of twister in the silt.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom