DSMB requirement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 @macado As the DSMB is pulled down it goes up and then drops back to the surface. It's like waving at the boat. Finish the SS and hold it straight up and wave.

There is nothing stopping someone from putting an SMB on a reel and inflating it from depth, thereby making it or calling it a DSMB :) However in the event too much air is added at a significant depth you risk over-inflating the SMB and damaging it. I've seen plenty of SMBs inflated at depth without issues so this isn't always a concern, especially when inflating from a shallow depth.
I originally had a super cheap SMB without a relief valve which I attached to a finger spool and then subsequently got a less cheap Blue Reef version with a valve as a spare. I got to goofing around and tried to blow up my original by launching from 60' with full breath, no damage. Then tried 80', no luck, then 100' and again no luck but on the surface it was as rigid as a bat. I gave up as I only had a 100' on my finger spool.

Yep,

I never busted one in 15 years being a DM (quit when I turned 60). But I never filled them all the way up and adjusted the amount of air I put in by my depth. I don't like the open bottom ones. Just my opinion.

dave

Yep,

I never busted one in 15 years being a DM (quit when I turned 60). But I never filled them all the way up and adjusted the amount of air I put in by my depth. I don't like the open bottom ones. Just my opinion.

dave
Open bottom ones work just fine, do not leak a bit

When/where is the usual time/place to learn to deploy a DSMB? I'm planning to learn in Key Largo in April provided we have calm waters. In particular, I'll be hiring a private instructor to both be the DM and help with learning the deployment skill. I want to learn so I could deploy a DSMB in Cozumel but I think I should get some practice without the current first.

When/where is the usual time/place to learn to deploy a DSMB? I'm planning to learn in Key Largo in April provided we have calm waters. In particular, I'll be hiring a private instructor to both be the DM and help with learning the deployment skill. I want to learn so I could deploy a DSMB in Cozumel but I think I should get some practice without the current first.
Of course, PADI offers a DSMB employment course, 2 dives. SDI solo diver, I assume PADI self-reliant dive have the same requirement.

What does "OVP" stand for?

It stands for my typo...I meant OPV :) Corrected.

I agree with @Dave Dillehay you need to be slightly negative to get them to stand up straight however you don't necessarily need to carry massive amounts of extra weight at all.
Agreed. When I deploy mine I send it up from 20' or so, ascend to SS depth, and hang from it like a subway commuter. I regulate my buoyancy with lung displacement - no extra weight needed - and my sausage stands up like... never mind, I see where this is going. :D

Back
Top Bottom