CO2 Tank to SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zaf88

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 5lb co2 tank that i no longer use . it was for an aquarium and i sold the aquarium. Was curious if i could somehow convert it to a small scuba tank by swapping out the valve. any thoughts?

I have a 5lb co2 tank that i no longer use . it was for an aquarium and i sold the aquarium. Was curious if i could somehow convert it to a small scuba tank by swapping out the valve. any thoughts?

First thought is "don't bother"

Check the working pressure, CO2 becomes a liquid at pretty low pressures.

Check the tank neck, it's probably 3/4" NGT or National Gas Tight. It's a tapered thread like NPT, but about 1/2 the amount of taper. In years past many Scuba tanks had 1/2" NGT and you *Might* be able to find a bushing from 3/4 NGT to 1/2 NGT, but getting a 1/2 NGT scuba valve these days might also be be touch and go as the industry went to oring sealed 3/4 Straight threads ~40 years ago.

I just checked one of my CO2 bottles and it's 3AA 2015 PSI I doubt if you will find CO2 rated for much more than that.

As a side note my first set of doubles were repurposed Fire bottles, bushed down from 1" to 1/2" IIRC and rated for ~1800 PSI. circa 1960 or so. My dad built them and handed them down to me.

Find a paintballer, sell him your tank, buy a scuba tank.........

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom