What do you use to stop your mask from fogging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spit or baby shampoo. I was however warned by someone with 5k+ dives that using spit all the time causes a lot of bacteria build up in the crack to the rim... That did gross me out a little... But since spit is a whole lot more handy most of the time than baby shampoo, I from time to time lay my mask in the sink (twice a year?) and give it a good virgin dishwash-water soak and then rinse very well...
What's the deal with abrading the inside of you mask when new and once in a while with the right kind of toothpast or another abrasive polish? I do it too, but when looking for a small mask (as spare) with cheater lenses build in (gauge readers) on DGX's website, I found that they advise not to abrade with toothpast or anything at all (and not to flame). Now I wonder what to think...

Spit or baby shampoo. I was however warned by someone with 5k+ dives that using spit all the time causes a lot of bacteria build up in the crack to the rim... That did gross me out a little... But since spit is a whole lot more handy most of the time than baby shampoo, I from time to time lay my mask in the sink (twice a year?) and give it a good virgin dishwash-water soak and then rinse very well...
What's the deal with abrading the inside of you mask when new and once in a while with the right kind of toothpast or another abrasive polish? I do it too, but when looking for a small mask (as spare) with cheater lenses build in (gauge readers) on DGX's website, I found that they advise not to abrade with toothpast or anything at all (and not to flame). Now I wonder what to think...

Release film is a layer on the glass that allows the mask factory to handle the product easier, ie release from moulds etc etc. This layer holds droplets and fogs up like crazy. Toothpaste is an abrasive and will scrape the layer off, flame will melt off the layer. This only needs doing once. After that keep it clean as usual and spit / shampoo / whatever pre-dive to prevent fogging.

I suspect that the DGX lens does not have the release film on it and that the toothpaste / lighter treatment is therefore unnecessary. Some masks have special films inside and these should not be flamed or brushed, usually it will say so prominently.

I like soft scrub cleaner to remove the film on the glass and then spit... I do find that once a year cleaning with soft scrub helps remove the oils that seem to get on the mask from your face..

Jim..

Last edited:
I fill my commercial spit bottle with straight baby shampoo after I use it up. Handy sized bottle, doesn't leak, single drop applicator. When I wear out the bottle I buy another, use up the contents, then refill etc.. I use the baby shampoo the same way as the commercial spit: one drop each lens, smear around, let dry, quick rinse before splash (if handy), otherwise I'll flood & clear right after I splash. Good to go.

Toothpaste is an abrasive and will scrape the layer off, flame will melt off the layer. This only needs doing once. After that keep it clean as usual and spit / shampoo / whatever pre-dive to prevent fogging.

I thought one toothpaste treatment was enough so only did it when my mask was new (I'm still on my 1st mask), but on the 1st dive of my 3rd trip it fogged like crazy so was constantly letting a little water in & clearing. Was good mask clearing practice (which I do occasionally anyway for practice) but annoying when I was trying to enjoy the dive. I did used a little shampoo before the dive too. The DM put a lighter to it on the boat, which I wasn't that happy about but had no choice as I had 2 more dives that day, but did the trick.

I've read this can happen when a mask is put away in its box for a few months - the film can build up again from off-gassing of the silicone. There's advice to put vent holes in the mask box but I haven't done that. So this may not be a problem if you're using the mask more regularly or store it well ventilated.

So now I just toothpaste it up the night before the first dive of each trips. No probs since.

My wife and I dive SeaVision masks, and use their prescribed spray.

I have SeaVision masks, too. I used the spray that came with them a couple of times. One time of too much spray and not quite good enough rinse and the subsequent burning eyes while underwater was enough for me. Now I only use diluted baby shampoo. It never burns my eyes, it's cheap, and it works just as well as the stuff that came from SeaVision.

I have SeaVision masks, too. I used the spray that came with them a couple of times. One time of too much spray and not quite good enough rinse and the subsequent burning eyes while underwater was enough for me. Now I only use diluted baby shampoo. It never burns my eyes, it's cheap, and it works just as well as the stuff that came from SeaVision.

I got the same burn from the Seavision spray. It was really unpleasant. I wish they would use a non-stinging liquid in their concoction. I suspect that they just use a diluted dishwashing liquid. A cheap bottle of No More Tears lasts for years and smells nice too!

And if your mask fogs anyway underwater. Any trick that works underwater?

And if your mask fogs anyway underwater. Any trick that works underwater?

I'll leave a little bit of water in the mask & use the water as a wiper blade by turning my head (looking down & up) once in a while.

That is what I am doing too, but it needs to be repeated too often :(

Back
Top Bottom