New To Wearing Hoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A hood with a skirt is way too much of a pain to get the skirt tucked in and laid down flat under the wet suit. And if it's outside the wet suit, it just seems like they flip up and are annoying as heck..... And if you tuck it into the wetsuit, but don't get it smooth and flat underneath, then the wrinkles/folds are just creating little channels to let water come in and move around.

+1

BTW, my avatar was taken in Cozumel before I started having the swimmer's ear problems.[/QUOTE]

Here's your solution to swimmers ear. Been working for my 74 year old ass.
When I hit 40 I would get ear infections every time I spent more than a couple hours a day in the water. Then I started using the recipe below after EVERY dive. I haven’t had an ear infection in 24 28 now 34 years. I always have a bottle on board and in my truck. I just take the cap off hold my finger over the opening and let a small amount go down into each ear.

All the materials are available at any drug store for less than $10.00. The Alcohol dries the water, The boric acid is what your grandmother used for infections and the white vinegar keeps the wax from drying up because of the alcohol.

Ear wash recipe

1 Pint 70% or less % Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol

Boric acid powder 6 oz. is more than enough

White Vinegar

Pour out about 2" of the alcohol out.

Pour or put about 2 Table spoons Boric acid into Alcohol and shake up. If acid remains in powder on bottom you have enough if not add until a small amount remains on bottom. Only a certain % will go into solution so you can't overdue the Boric Acid. Fill the remaining area in the bottle with white vinegar and shake up. The solution is now ready to use.

I usually buy 3 or 4 bottles of alcohol and mix them up in a big bowl then pour them back mixed up into the alcohol bottles. This way the powder on the bottom remains in the bowl and won’t make your ears white when the solution dries out after pouring it into your ears.

Been working for my 74 year old ass.
Ha, considering where you ears seem to be, your hearing must be a bit "unique" then:wink:
Seriously, thanks for the tip.

I use my 3mm hoodie vest frequently. visibility to the side not an issue. Do make a small hole in the top to vent air when you're vertical, and also in the back for when you're horizontal.

Other ideas-- mask strap over hood, or under? I've done either. Some instructors want it under the hood, so if you get knocked in the mask, you can't lose it. Others say outside the hood, so hood's "tighter" in front, and you stay warmer. In cold water, whether the strap is over or under, I've found it wonderful to exhale hard through my nose while horizontal, which sends that air out the mask skirt and upwards into your hood--mmmmmmm, warm... So the back vent hole earns its money (you might want a pound or two "extra" weight if you like to do this. I wait til I'm deep, where it has less effect on buoyancy than if you're shallow.

Last edited:
A hood with a skirt is way too much of a pain to get the skirt tucked in and laid down flat under the wet suit. And if it's outside the wet suit, it just seems like they flip up and are annoying as heck, without really being any better than a dry suit hood. And if you tuck it into the wetsuit, but don't get it smooth and flat underneath, then the wrinkles/folds are just creating little channels to let water come in and move around.

When you start, that may be the case. After years, decades, of practice I no longer have those problems. It is all a matter of technique and just takes a bit of practice to perfect, you wouldn't have a problem soon after you decided to dive with a skirted hood.

I already wear a 7mm farmer john, and a hooded vest would be overkill for the water temps here.

Bob

regarding the hooded vest v. hood w/ a skirt discussion

Another option is a fullsuit w/ an attached hood (what I use)

I also experienced the trickle of water down the back when I used a separate hood. IMO, whether you are able to lay the skirt flat may not matter, as it was the zipper opening at the top where the water trickled in. Even if you had a Velcro seal on top, the water would trickle in.

If you're wearing a farmer john w/ 2 layers already, then yes, another layer would be overkill. But as I am fairly cold tolerant, a farmer john itself is overkill for me. So the best option for me is a fullsuit with an attached hood - one layer of 8/7/6 mm. Its slightly more uncomfortable during the SI, but its best underwater.

And regarding the OP's original questions - what everyone else said - water pressure will enter the hood without you having to do anything, so equalizing ears is the same as if you had no hood. And your sight isn't restricted by the hood.

I use a 5mm hood and find that I have to pull the sides a bit after I enter the water to let some water into the hood. If I don't I get serious ear pressure issues. After that I just do my normal equalization moves.

I don't have a vent in my hood, and I pull the lip of the hood over the top of my mask, so if I exhale via my nose it pumps air into the hood which expands like a balloon. This works really well to make my buddies laugh under water. Great (stupid) fun all around.

When you start, that may be the case. After years, decades, of practice I no longer have those problems. It is all a matter of technique and just takes a bit of practice to perfect, you wouldn't have a problem soon after you decided to dive with a skirted hood.

I already wear a 7mm farmer john, and a hooded vest would be overkill for the water temps here.

Bob

I believe you. But, if it's cold enough that a dry suit hood with a wet suit is not warm enough, them I'm going to dive dry anyway. And I only need to own 1 hood. :)

Here's your solution to swimmers ear. Been working for my 74 year old ass.
When I hit 40 I would get ear infections every time I spent more than a couple hours a day in the water. Then I started using the recipe below after EVERY dive. I haven’t had an ear infection in 24 28 now 34 years. I always have a bottle on board and in my truck. I just take the cap off hold my finger over the opening and let a small amount go down into each ear.

All the materials are available at any drug store for less than $10.00. The Alcohol dries the water, The boric acid is what your grandmother used for infections and the white vinegar keeps the wax from drying up because of the alcohol.

Ear wash recipe

1 Pint 70% or less % Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol

Boric acid powder 6 oz. is more than enough

White Vinegar

Pour out about 2" of the alcohol out.

Pour or put about 2 Table spoons Boric acid into Alcohol and shake up. If acid remains in powder on bottom you have enough if not add until a small amount remains on bottom. Only a certain % will go into solution so you can't overdue the Boric Acid. Fill the remaining area in the bottle with white vinegar and shake up. The solution is now ready to use.

I usually buy 3 or 4 bottles of alcohol and mix them up in a big bowl then pour them back mixed up into the alcohol bottles. This way the powder on the bottom remains in the bowl and won’t make your ears white when the solution dries out after pouring it into your ears.

I have tried several different "ear beers", and so far, none have worked for me. It seems my inner ear swells a bit during dives and the water won't drain out completely. Most of the ones I've tried use the alcohol and vinegar but not that particular one with the boric acid powder. So I may just try it. But, so far, my ear plugs work great. Haven't had an ear infection or even swelling since I've started using them.

But thanks for the suggestion. Again, I may just try it.

Last edited:
One other tip that I haven't seen here. Once in the water, I always lift the lip of the hood on either side to let water around my ears. If I don't I find it takes a while to get equilibrated and the air creates some squeeze. Also have the vent in the top of the hood and it helps, but doesn't vent fast enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom