Warning--Close call in Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you are OK. What I really want to know is did you get out for some tech diving. IIRC you've been goose-egged here for the past many years.
Yes, I have. I certified a student for Tec 50, and I have had several tech dives since then. I would have done more, bu I have had guests staying with me who are recreational dives, so I have been enjoying the incredible weather at recreational depths.

What IF YOU HAD BEEN SHOT ? What would have been your selected course of action?
I would have sought medical help, if capable.

But bro it was just a spear gun, they aren't even dangerous. They don't have bullet or nothing,bro.

/sarc

Was it an Assault Speargun?

..But seriously... I taught my kids to shoot and insist that ALL guns and shooting weapons are treated with the same margin of safety. That includes Bows, Paintball Markers, BB/ airsoft guns..

-Always treat them as if they are loaded and pointed in a safe direction. (usually either straight up or down)
-Never put finger on trigger unless you ready to fire
-Always make sure that downrange is clear and safe

I have never been spearfishing, so I don't know what safety rules are recommended or enforced. I would hope there was some serious guidelines for this activity if they are going to be in the water with me.

Was it an Assault Speargun?

..But seriously... I taught my kids to shoot and insist that ALL guns and shooting weapons are treated with the same margin of safety. That includes Bows, Paintball Markers, BB/ airsoft guns..

-Always treat them as if they are loaded and pointed in a safe direction. (usually either straight up or down)
-Never put finger on trigger unless you ready to fire
-Always make sure that downrange is clear and safe

I have never been spearfishing, so I don't know what safety rules are recommended or enforced. I would hope there was some serious guidelines for this activity if they are going to be in the water with me.
It must have been.

The most basic rule I tell folks is, if you don't intend to kill it, don't point a weapon at it.

Would imagine it is easy to forget that a speargun could kill a person since they appear so mundane.

I have never been spearfishing, so I don't know what safety rules are recommended or enforced.

Safety rules are pretty simple...

1. No loaded guns (i.e. bands pulled back on the shaft) out of water. 2. Don't point it at anything you don't intend on killing.

Enforcement falls on the user and captain of the boat.

I use that dive shop and charter frequently and know the area you are describing well. There are frequently many, many people scurrying about both before and after charters both loading and unloading gear. This could have had a very different and tragic ending. I will certainly be much more aware on my next trip out with PDC in a few weeks.

Thank you for the report.

Is there any chance the kids were robbing the boat? It would explain incompetence with speargun if it wasn't actually their property.

Is there any chance the kids were robbing the boat? It would explain incompetence with speargun if it wasn't actually their property.
They didn't act like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom