Palau in July / August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
I've hit on the idea of maybe going to Palau in August or July of this year. Good idea? bad idea? (We'll be coming from Bali and staying about a week). Wife wants only land based. Any recommendations for four star resorts there? Seems that most arrangements are hotel + dive op -- recommendations?

Have we waited too long to make reservations to get there this summer?

- Bill

1. Check the weather pattern. Before Yulanda/Haiyan decimated Tacloban in Nov 2013 it paid a brief visit to northern Palau.
2. Land based? As long as you do not mind the daily travelling on a speed boat. Some of the sites are pretty far away eg. Peleliu. My first trip to Palau was with Sam Tours many yrs ago and I hate the daily long bumpy ride and we never went to Peleliu. So I joined a liveaboard on my visit and it was GREAT and Peleliu was enjoyable.
For me personally, liveaboard is the only way to dive Palau but the cost is high.

Last edited:
1. Check the weather pattern. Before Yulanda/Haiyan decimated Tacloban in Nov 2013 it paid a brief visit to northern Palau.
2. Land based? As long as you do not mind the daily travelling on a speed boat. Some of the sites are pretty far away eg. Peleliu. My first trip to Palau was with Sam Tours many yrs ago and I hate the daily long bumpy ride and we never went to Peleliu. So I joined a liveaboard on my visit and it was GREAT and Peleliu was enjoyable.
For me personally, liveaboard is the only way to dive Palau but the cost is high.

Me too, but if I was very prone to seasickness I'd probably have a different answer.

- Bill

Me too, but if I was very prone to seasickness I'd probably have a different answer.
- Bill
Then I would definitely avoid the long ride from Koror to the sites. Liveaboard boat probably also use speed boat to transfer the divers to the sites but the travelling will be shorter because the mother boat does not moor at Koror.
No simple answer I am afraid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom