Decent purchase for first DSMB and reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Savager

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Assuming its for typical holiday diving, then the ones you have linked to look fine for the sort of occasional use you mention (although I’d suggest practicing to make sure you don’t get tangled in the line etc). You might also want to look on divelife.co.uk or simplyscuba.com as both those sites have a good selection of reels / dsmbs that are similar to the amazon ones.

I’d also personally get a stainless steel boltsnap rather than the brass one (that I think is shown on your link) for the reel. I might just have soft hands but I always found the brass cut into my thumb when trying to open it, especially when you’ve been immersed for a while and the boltsnap hasn’t been used that often.

If its for UK diving, I would get a much larger dsmb – 2m+ to be seen over the waves. AP Diving have a good selection there, or aquatec.co.uk

-Mark

The finger spool looks fine, though it might actually be a bit bigger than you really want. For a finger spool, I think 30m of line is generally enough. That one holds 50m, which means it's probably bigger than what most people carry for a spool. At that length, I would get a small or medium sized reel.

I agree with Mark about replacing the bolt snap with stainless. You don't have to do it right away, but it doesn't take too long in salt water before the brass ones start to get crusty and the sliders get stiff. You don't want to "need" it and not be able to unclip it from wherever you have it clipped.

The SMB doesn't say how long it is. I agree with Mark on that, too. I would make sure I got one that is at least 2m, so you don't end up buying another one any time soon. Either that or get one of the really cheap ones. Especially if it's for tropical holiday diving. E.g. diving off Cozumel, I would be fine with just one of the skinny 4' (1.2m?) ones and a cheap (30m) finger spool.

If you are willing to spend a little more money, I got an AP Pocket Reel that I think is really nice.

AP Pocket Reel | AP Diving

Very compact and, I think, easier to use than a finger spool.

Remember with the finger spools that you need to cut some line off in order to expose the holes to allow the boltsnap to attach to the spool. As well, a good rule of thumb is to have an amount of line equal to 1.5 times your deepest deployment depth. The additional line is needed as current can move the DSMB downstream of the diver and cause the line to be at an angle up to the surface (as opposed to perpendicular to the surface).

Thanks Stuart, might just get one.
You might also want to look at the Apex Lifeline spools They'r ea similar price to the AP that Stuart likes

I love mine, my wife and a few friends have them also.

The spool has a nice flared rim which makes gripping to wind in the line easy, a large centre hole bug enough for thick gloves. The lines are a thin flat kevlar which is quite compact, there is adequate space on teh reel to add more line. I particularly like the fact that the leader has a swivel which reduces line twist. The rim is nice and thick so bolt snaps don't come off

I personally have the 45m version so I can shoot a bag at 30m and have enough line if the current pulls the DSMB. My wife on the other hand is happy with her 15m spool. I've used mine over 200 times without issue.

I could never get on with finger spools before, but this one won me over.

You might also want to look at the Apex Lifeline spools They'r ea similar price to the AP that Stuart likes

I love mine, my wife and a few friends have them also.

The spool has a nice flared rim which makes gripping to wind in the line easy, a large centre hole bug enough for thick gloves. The lines are a thin flat kevlar which is quite compact, there is adequate space on teh reel to add more line. I particularly like the fact that the leader has a swivel which reduces line twist. The rim is nice and thick so bolt snaps don't come off

I personally have the 45m version so I can shoot a bag at 30m and have enough line if the current pulls the DSMB. My wife on the other hand is happy with her 15m spool. I've used mine over 200 times without issue.

I could never get on with finger spools before, but this one won me over.

Yes, looked at those but the"A" tax scared me off a little. Agree, look well made and robust though.,

I just took delivery of the AP Pocket reel Stuart talked about. It appears well made, there is a ton of line on it. Removed the springs as per recommendation. It is biggger than I was expecting though, although I do have small hands so I guess it's relative.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom