Suggestions on Atomic B2 or Scuba Pro Mk25/S600 or other regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lastly, in terms of raising the B2, I read that due to the seat saving orifice, user have to be more careful when raising and not advisable to soak the B2 as water might enter from 2nd stage to the 1st stage.

Yes, when the reg is unpressurized, everything is open. You can soak it pressurized no problem. Or, soak 1st and 2nd stage separately. I rinse the 1st stage and soak the 2nds, but keeping the 1st out of the water so it can't travel up the hose.

I read that the swivel is build in a way it's permanently seal together with the hose, so meaning changing hose will include the swivel, what will be the cost be ?

If you want to get rid of the swivel, it's just the cost of the hose and a little nut to cover the extra threads. A new swivel hose can be a little over $100 to over $200 depending on what kind you get. Much more expensive than a regular hose!

My Atomic hose is about 10 years old now and still fine. If you ever need one, they're:

$110 US standard length chrome/brass
$160 US standard length in Stainless
$205 7' long - material not specified.

As mentioned, if you want to change to a non-Atomic hose, a jam nut is required - here in the US they're $15 from an Atomic dealer.

Atomic has a limited lifetime warranty - that refers to all the hard parts, the reg bodies, lever, any other mechanicals etc. It does not cover rubber parts - seals, o-rings, hoses, mouthpieces etc. - those have a 2 year warranty. This is only good for the original purchaser and not transferable. They do allow for lapses, if you don't service the reg for a few years (more than 2) then do, the warranty resumes on the hard parts.

Notice also that it's 2 years/300 dives vs. SP's 2 years/100 dives - whichever comes first. I could exceed 100 dives over two years - and have.

You really can't go wrong with either. I think the swivel puts the B2 over the top - they're very comfortable. Atomic is known for the reliability of theirs also - they even sell it as an option for non-Atomic regs.

To rinse my Atomics (I've owned one since at least 2000) I just hang them off the rinse tank (bathtub) faucet by the hose and let both 1st and 2nds submerge in the water. All you have to do is keep one stage higher than the other - water does not run uphill. Not imprinting the seat during storage seems like a very fair trade-off for the slight amount of work that is.

Last edited:
All their models breathe the same, the difference is the metals used in construction. So I'd buy the B2 with a Z2 octo and save $140 vs. the B2 octo. There's also the SS1 octo/inflator option - I'm not a fan of the style but my buddy has one. It too breathes the same as all their other 2nds but I believe uses a special higher volume hose standard.

Lastly, I'm more of a vacation diver who dive 2 to 4 trips per year. Will it be advisable for me to even get a reg or perhaps go for rental. More likely, I will be diving for many more yrs to go but at most 4 trips per annual.
In my very limited experience rental regulators have been the most annoying part of diving. There have been a few good ones, but I've also encountered a number that were old, performed poorly, were poorly maintained, etc. I have mask, fins, and computer but a regulator (plus a packable BCD, I think) will be next purchase.

I'm also looking at the B2 and Mk25+2nd stage or the Aqualung Legend LX.

I am with BurhanMuntasser on the Z2 choice. Practically, there is really not reason to get B2 over Z2 for single tank setup. They breath exactly the same with same service interval. The 1st stage turret will be stationary, held by the LPI for single tank. This make be a slight benefitial for double. Titanium 2nd stage weight saving here is really minimal. I have picture and number to proof if you search for my post. And if you are reasonable careful in gear cleaning, brass or zirconium should be corrosion resistant enough for your regulator to last decades. After all, the 1st stage is brass. And last the 2nd stage swivel, to each of his/her own, I hate mine. I have a couple of B2 with that swapped out. As to why I have B2 myself, I got them used. If I have go buy again today, it will be Z2 for single tank.

For the same money, I would choose Z2 + Z2 octo over B2 + a lousy octo

Last edited:
You should be fine with either regulator. The one thing to consider is how is tech support - can you get either one serviced easily or will you have to ship it off.

I've been to service clinics conducted by the manufactures where the techs have admitted regs can go longer periods or X amount of dives before it needs servicing. The issue is how many years or X amount of dives can it go. How frequently are people diving with the regulator and how well are they taking care of it. There is no definitive answer. Obviously the more use over a period of time will require closure service intervals. Just remember, your regulator is not just scuba gear, it is part of your life support system. Treat it as such.

Last edited:
I am with BurhanMuntasser on the Z2 choice. Practically, there is really not reason to get B2 over Z2 for single tank setup. They breath exactly the same with same service interval. The 1st stage turret will be stationary, held by the LPI for single tank. This make be a slight benefitial for double. Titanium 2nd stage weight saving here is really minimal. I have picture and number to proof if you search for my post. And if you are reasonable careful in gear cleaning, brass or zirconium should be corrosion resistant enough for your regulator to last decades. After all, the 1st stage is brass. And last the 2nd stage swivel, to each of his/her own, I hate mine. I have a couple of B2 with that swapped out. As to why I have B2 myself, I got them used. If I have go buy again today, it will be Z2 for single tank.

For the same money, I would choose Z2 + Z2 octo over B2 + a lousy octo

Do you have any idea of how much it costs to have a swivel turret with the Z2 in the US? I know that it is an option just like a sealed first stage in the Z2 but I don't know how much it will cost.

Not an atomic expert, but I don't think you can order Z2 with swivel turret straight from atomic. It is a option in a sense that you can purchase the turret separately and have the that installed, either by a dive shop or by atomic. So the additional cost is the cost of the turret.

But I wonder why swivel turret is any useful for single tank back mount. Maybe for side mount for double back mount?

But I wonder why swivel turret is any useful for single tank back mount. Maybe for side mount for double back mount?

Just curious for now. I agree, for a single BM configuration with all of the hoses connected, the swivel is almost useless.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom