Info and Discussion...Roatan Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That particular slug has drawn a whole lot of interest.

I don't know how or why coloration is an issue, but from what I've heard, the only sighting of this pattern/color has been in the neighborhood that you are diving. That info is about 5 years old, more may have been spotted.

20 years back we spotted this 25' long accordion worm on a night dive just down the way at CCV. We were sufficiently amazed, but a couple of years ago, the National Geographic magazine announced the "discovery" of this critter, for the first time ever, in the Bahamas.

Of course, to "discover" an animal, you have to grab it and stick it in Formaldehyde. I'm going with leaving it a secret.

Last edited:
At the Chicago Dive Show, the place has more Roatan stuff than ever before...even Turquoise Bay had their own booth.

We got to visit Thib the Toadfish at Calvin's Crack again this week...he seems to be just as sassy as ever :p

Not the best picture, but I'll try again later in the week:

PICT0051.JPG

EvilOtter: Try one dive a day without the camera. See if air consumption is better, seeing things improves and if you just feel more zen-like and relaxed. I do this every trip because it reminds me each day to slow down, stop worrying about the perfect picture and that if I do, my air lasts a lot longer when I do have the camera. On first first trip to Indonesia in December my air consumption was 700 psi worse with camera because so many new critters to photo. Got better after camera free dives and I could apply these principals to camera dives. Yes, you will see more and wish you had the camera, but your memories will be awesome. Also, I do this because my wife threatens to throw out the camera if I become too obsessed with it. She and I both do love the camera-free dive each day.

Rob

Great advice, but soooo hard to convince yourself to leave that camera behind. What if I come across a kraken and left my camera on the boat??

I just remind myself that my photos turn out pretty crappy anyway and that my "National Geographic" moment will never come. I don't feel so bad about diving without my camera then.

I just remind myself that my photos turn out pretty crappy anyway and that my "National Geographic" moment will never come. I don't feel so bad about diving without my camera then.

You never know! One of mine got published as a "Photo of the Month" in the SeaLife Camera brochure. Keep lugging the camera...might be worth it. But I must say...I am currently in Roatan and making myself dive without the camera some - it's like discovering freedom!

I'll keep lugging it, but I know the final products are simply happy snaps. I'm okay with that and I'm okay with leaving it on the boat sometimes, so that I can just enjoy the dive.

OBTW, the other alternative is to hand the camera off to your dive buddy and kick back for a bit. That way, when a kraken does show up, at least someone has a camera.

i flooded my Nikonos many years ago- right at the beginning of the dive.

I handed it up to the DM, and for the first time ever... I saw stuff.

I put the dragging of cameras in the 'advanced dive skills' category. Skip it, learn to find stuff first.

Picture26-2.png

There's an odd one.

We leave for Coco View in one week. :thumb2: Doc, we're the dive shop you came and did a CCV presentation for 5 years ago. 3rd time back since then. Sorry I missed you at OWU. Here's my camera deal with spouse for this trip. 1. At least one camera-free dive a day. 2. She will use the other camera to capture images for her fish ID activity. So, camera and cameraless together. Works for us and will allow for many "just look around" dives. CajunDiva, hope you had a great week.

Rob

I would wager that my presentation went heavy on "go slow, take a magnifying glass and a flashlight", on every dive.

Ok, so I relented and left my camera behind on our third dive this afternoon. I did not go slow. I did not take a magnifying glass. I did not pass GO and collect $200. That said, I did take my spear and I am pleased to report that several lionfish made the ultimate sacrifice. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom