Are there Types/Brands of Bungee Cord that are more suitable for salt water use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Are there Types/Brands/material of Bungee Cord that are more suitable for salt water use and would last/perform better in salt water than others? Or is it just the thickness that matters for the purpose?

Note: I am not talking about thickness, I am talking type/brands/material.

(Couldn't see a better forum, if there is a better forum to place this post, let me know please :) )

you should be able to find marine bungee but most all of it will hold up since it's all made the same. the inner bits are all going to be the same, the difference is going to be in the covers. Nylon doesn't do well with chlorine, sun, salt etc. compared to say polypropylene, but polypro isn't exactly the most fun fiber to hold onto and the internal bungee will die long before the nylon cover breaks down

you should be able to find marine bungee but most all of it will hold up since it's all made the same. the inner bits are all going to be the same, the difference is going to be in the covers. Nylon doesn't do well with chlorine, sun, salt etc. compared to say polypropylene, but polypro isn't exactly the most fun fiber to hold onto and the internal bungee will die long before the nylon cover breaks down

So any type sold by dive stores is OK?

So any type sold by dive stores is OK?

should be. I usually buy it in bulk straight from the suppliers, but most of them are in the US and that's through industry connections. You can also go straight to marine supply stores that usually have quite a bit of it

Bungee cord is normally invisible rubber strings inside a fabric sleeve. Rubber of course comes in many grades, like the rubber bands the post office uses, that turn hard and crack after six months, intended for one use only. Or ones that last for years.

Either way you have a problem with bungee cords in salt water, the salt crystalizes out in the core and the crystals have sharp edges and cut the rubber apart. Not good.

If you can use silicone tubing, the kind used for spearguns and other purposes, it doesn't stretch as much but it is immune to salt water, and should last many years if you keep it clean and away from UV.

Crossing issues and threads...we had marine grade bungee cords as part of the rigging on a sailboat. Eventually they wore out and we replaced them with hardware store bungee. Which fell apart in just one season, probably because it couldn't take the UV exposure in the sunlight, all day every day.

Like mattresses, you will typically never know what is inside. Roll the dice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom