Rebreather designs and buoyancy control strategies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume, with your being so well versed with the standards you're an instructor?

revo, probably, knowing it as well?

Somebody suggested earlier in the thread who he might be. I think he's replied to every post directed at him in this thread, apart from that one :)

Reactions: oya
It was a military necessity skill. There are times when you do not want to lose your loop. As in "we weren't issued bailout" and had no choice.

I did a lot of CCR diving in the Navy and can't say that we ever practiced that skill...

Reducing a complex calculus to the absurd.

That's not at all what I'm saying, or suggesting. Be smart enough to understand nuances.

No, It's not a "complex calculus". You're on the surface, you need to be largely buoyant.
A few solutions:
1) inflate the wing fully
2) inflate the suit largely
3) inflate your counterlungs (and claim you dive min volume afterwards, apparently people think it looks good :cool: )
4) inflate all three somewhat

Did I miss any?

2 and 3 are silly (from my point of view. Disclaimer again: I don't yet dive ccr) for various reasons:
- they don't transpose to wetsuit
- they don't transpose between units

4 is a combination of the others and takes all their issues

1 uses some diluent, making it a big no-no, and apparently you can do your wing checks with the OPV being pulled.

What did I miss?

No, It's not a "complex calculus". You're on the surface, you need to be largely buoyant.
A few solutions:
1) inflate the wing fully
2) inflate the suit largely
3) inflate your counterlungs (and claim you dive min volume afterwards, apparently people think it looks good :cool: )
4) inflate all three somewhat

Did I miss any?

2 and 3 are silly (from my point of view. Disclaimer again: I don't yet dive ccr) for various reasons:
- they don't transpose to wetsuit
- they don't transpose between units

4 is a combination of the others and takes all their issues

1 uses some diluent, making it a big no-no, and apparently you can do your wing checks with the OPV being pulled.

What did I miss?

You missed that -when conducting the dive- "my" technique, which works "for me" doesn't find me using my wings. If you dive differently, good for you. Enjoy.

And that -on the surface- the wings are your (and my) best friend. Use them.

And close your DSV. ;-)

Let's guide ourselves back to the accident.

The takeaway from all of this should be that there's a mechanism (unanticipated loss of bouyancy) that is a -possible- contributory factor to a diver disappearing from the surface.

Along with hypoxia, hypercapnia, shark attack, and a million other things.

The rest of it is just noise. Sorry to be a contribution to that.

Last edited:
>it would be nice to be able to delete a message when you fat-finger and screw up the quoting formats<

You are doing OK, this is a very informative thread and you have contributed a lot.

I am just sitting back and trying to learn.

Keep up your posts.

The Moderators have been good about keeping this important thread open.

We can not bring back the lost diver.

The thread may help prevent a similar tragedy.

You are doing OK, this is a very informative thread and you have contributed a lot.

A lot of nonsense.

A lot of nonsense.

Yes - sensationalism and chest pounding, the hallmark of internet dive heroes. I encourage everyone reading this thread to do so with an appropriate amount of skepticism, especially regarding St John Diver's CCR diving practices.

Ego's jousting.

Would be nice to keep the thread on topic and really see would could be learned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom