From one newb to another...LOG THE DIVE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've logged every dive since the beginning. PADI said to do so during my OW course 11 years ago and they are always right.

At a minimum, log prerequisite dives. For me, I logged all dives till I did my OWSI course. After that I only logged dives required toward specialty instructor etc. Right now Im only logging dives deeper than 35m and CCR dives since I need those for my next courses.

Im a pilot so keeping a logbook is work for me, not fun. I get that it's a fun thing for many people and I get that from my flying logbooks, little trips down memory lane when I flip through them.

I honestly have no idea of how many dives I have done.

My wife lost her c card a few years ago. She was certified in 1985. A bit of background, before we got married i told her if she would get certified I would take her to Cayman Brac (little cayman didn't have any dive shops yet) and told my mother if I could live with her for a week on a deserted island and not kill her I would marry her). Well we went to PADI for a replacement and they couldn't find her??? Several calls and much time but no they had no record. Went to our dive shop and thankfully person her certified her still worked there. She called PADI and also had no luck. I finally ask what our options were. She said DeeDee would have to retake the class (and of course pay the fees) unless DeeDee had her log book where the dive master had signed off. We laughed and I said fat chance I could find that after 22 years. Went home and broke the news to my wife, she also laughed and went to our wedding album and pulled out her log book with the dive master sign off. Dive shop made a copy, called PADI salesman and Voila! a dive card was issued. We plan to celebrate our 30th anniversary next year in Raja Ampat. Yes we still take 3 dive trips every year. I am so blessed to have a wife that loves this sport as much as I do. Bill

If you don't log your dives on your computer, you won't be able to do this. Turn up the sound.

15 second mark - did you lose your buddy? :)

I quit logging dives 10 years ago.

I never considered a dive log much "proof" of anything since I could sit down and fake one in about 15 minutes if I wanted to. So far no dive operator has ever called up that guy I dived with on a charter and asked him if I really did that dive that day back in 1989.

RED: If they ever check your dive log, you're gonna be in trouble, Andy.

ANDY: If they check my dive log they're gonna find Randall Stephens.

RED: Who is he?

ANDY: He’s a phantom, an apparition. Second cousin to Harvey the Rabbit. I conjured him out of thin air. He doesn’t exist, except on paper.

RED: "But Andy! You can't just make a dive buddy up!

ANDY: Sure you can, Red. If you know where all the cracks in the system are. Mr. Stephens has a birth certificate, a C-card, and one of those cool dive masks with the red tint on the inside and mirror lenses on the outside.

RED: You're ***** me.

ANDY: If they ever check my dive log, they’re gonna wind up chasing a figment of my imagination.

shawshank-redemption-19.jpg

If you don't log your dives on your computer, you won't be able to do this. Turn up the sound.

+1 on the sound.
Judging by your upside down "equalizer graph" so, you are set up a bit heavy in the mid section ... ☺

I did not start keeping logs till 2003. I log the basic stuff like where how deep, weighting ect. More important I keep track of what I did and who I did them with (names of DM's are nice to have). took video, stills buoyancy obsticle course. boat dive. things to work on and things resolved. It was not till later when I came upon an agency that would use my log book as proof of skills. IE dry suit. My log book had several dives noting use of a dry suit. We did the classroom and pool and did not have to do the open water skills. Same with wreck diving and surveying of wreck. shot buoy, used lift bag. did a navigation run and the results. You just never know when this stuff is useful.

Log keeping can turn out to be in your favour when. When I enrolled for my TDI Decompression procedures course training, they required proof of training and logged dives. I guess without my log it I may have been difficult. Luckily I've been diving with the instructor for a while before and he accepted before the paperwork was to be done.

I've already said it, but a good log can be invaluable. For example, my camera strobe crapped out last dive. It did the same thing some time ago and it was nice to be able to pinpoint the exact date from my log. Likewise I save all purchase data so I could also tell exactly when I bought it and from whom.

Similarly, the log can indicate possible gear issues. If all other things seem the same, but now you're using say 20% more gas on a dive, maybe you have a second stage that needs service. Keeping track can also indicate other issues (when was the last time I rebuilt that wing inflator?).

Bottom line - logs are for me. Keeping them helps me monitor almost every facet of my gear and my dives.

I find the written log to be invaluable for equipment variations (especially with regards to dry suit undies and the weighting each one requires).

I've got a friend who has wanted to do a solo class for a couple of years. However, the instructor he was going to do the class with absolutely wanted hard proof (either handwritten log or download from dive computer) of 100 dives. Friend had been diving for a good number of years and had a lot more than 100 dives, but had been extremely inconsistent about keeping up his logbook. He's learned his lesson big time.

Back
Top Bottom