Shutter lag and pre flash on Sony RX100 ll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zac786

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Though RX100 ll is a good camera, I am annoyed by the shutter lag on this camera. The pre flash is the annoying part and happens even in the manual mode. I have tried to find if we can switch off the pre flash sequence in any mode but there is no guidance on that. It does take 1-2 seconds before the actual shutter goes and this can make a lot of difference in underwater photography. I have experience with Canon cameras before and did not find them so annoying. Are there any cameras where there is no delay.

do you hold the shutter button halfway down when you're getting the shot ready?
are you using a focus light?
1-2 seconds is some serious hyperbole, never had an issue with that much delay

Yes I know that it focuses and gets the exposure on half press of the shutter. But then it takes a while to shoot. OK may not be 2 seconds but about 1 sec.

I am using the same camera and don't have any problem with that. If there is any lag at all it was not noticeable to me. The camera however does that a while to get the flash ready for continuous shots in flash mode. The recycling flash time takes a while.

This article list out performance of RX100 II in various aspects:

Sony RX100 II Review - Performance

I am using the same camera and don't have any problem with that. If there is any lag at all it was not noticeable to me. The camera however does that a while to get the flash ready for continuous shots in flash mode. The recycling flash time takes a while.

This article list out performance of RX100 II in various aspects:

Sony RX100 II Review - Performance
The referenced article gives full auto focus with flash shutter lag as .326 seconds.

I am assuming this is auto focus under perfect conditions.

I have a Canon G16 and it's auto focus performance varies widely depending upon the available light. On night dives it may take a few seconds to auto focus.

Maybe the OPS issue is with auto focus and not flash?

I flooded my original camera and got a same new one. This is the same model but seems to be quicker and much better. I dont know if I was controlling it wrong or was there some setting to to cause it to take that long. But certainly now I am satisfied with the shutter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom