How to get in and out of a Neotek wetsuit w/o help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I found a Hollis Neotek semidry wetsuit on Craigslist tried it on, found fit price and condition (unused I think) to be good and bought it. So, hopefully I'll freeze a little less going forward (from my augmented 5mm suit). Read what I could find too, but did not find what I specifically am looking for:

If you are without help, how do you best get in and out? Any tricks / advice? Especially appreciate if larger sized people who may be similarly flexibility challenged as I am chime in.
Did not find a specific video on the right wiggling technique either. Don't expect to find one either. Quite embarrassing that...
My specific areas of trouble are in sequence and technique:

That inner neck skirt, I seem to not get it to not be a twisted sausage behind my neck w/o help.
Do you put that on before you stick your arms into the sleeves to have more mobility to sort that out behind your neck? If so, then how do get your arms in the sleeves after you got that inner neck skirt sorted out? And if you do the arms first, how do you get the neck skirt sorted out?

The zipper: Could open it myself, no problem. Getting the first few inches of it closed... not even close... how do you do it?

Getting out of the arms, while not really haven gotten the shoulders past the zipper... could do it, but literally it was a full 10 minute wiggle in micro steps... What sequence / trick / technique works for you?

And I do not yet have a liner or separate lavasomething / skin or Lycra thingamajig... If I were to look into something with long sleeves to get the arms out easier (not sure it would do that), would that defeat the semi dry seals because I add a porous layer under the seal? Would it compromise what the suit internal lava-something-layer is supposed to do?
If not, are there any with thumb holes in the sleeves that prevent the sleeves from bunching up when sticking the arms in the suit sleeves?
Ditto for the legs (well, foot loops then) if I were to look at some sort of skin jumpsuit.

Maybe a stupid question, but did you try lubing yourself with a diluted baby shampoo solution or hair conditioner? The friends who drive semi-dry always lube themselves up to get into their suits.

@ Marie13:
Well, no such thing as a stupid question.
No, I did not try that.
Don't really want to dissipate that "stuff" into the lake or ocean... or find out about what the residue does in time... but I may have to try it if all else fails. Could would of course not try that in a stranger's home or before I owned the suit... (at least it would have been between really weird and scary if I did, something for candid camera maybe...) Wore tight boxers and a tight poly somesomething shirt when I tried.
Good point so.
Don't think it would help with the twisted neck seal or if I end up wearing an undergarment.

Hi Schwaeble, I'm a larger-sized person, in my opinion, and I feel as though I am readying myself for battle every time I don my wetsuit. I am winning the war, slowly, with patience and practice (and a lot of deep breaths) but jeez it is just not a graceful thing to be doing, is it?

I have found wearing a lycra/spandex skin under the suit to be VERY helpful (before, I just couldn't get those damn legs up past my knees, I couldn't get enough grip on the stupid 7mm material, already sweating, there were actual tears, etc. etc.)

And as with scuba diving to not be in a hurry :)
It IS getting better every time but I don't think we're going to be best buds anytime soon. Good luck :)

BTW, absolutely can't wait to get some warm water diving in in the fall, I'm gong to be like a gazelle getting into that 3mm shorty!!

@Jack Hammer:
Thanks. Yes, I will definitely experiment with a skin of sorts... once I have one... Just curious if it makes the water exchange worse in a semi dry suit or has no effect.

@candacebot:
You describe it pretty well. Well, I am new to 7+mil and semidry, so it ought to get better. Funny so (and yet helpful in as such that I now know I am at least not totally off in the weeds with what I am doing), a representative from Hollis got back to me on an inquiry submitted thru their website and informed that he is diving that thing since it's inception and to date still needs help with the arms.

@ Luca brassi:
Thanks. Fair point. I think I got the best fitting one out of the ones they make, but how is one ever sure. We'll if it was to easy to get in /out then it's too big I am told and that seems to make sense considering one wants to minimize water exchange. And the the reply I got from the Hollis rep. at least indicates that this indeed is a process to get used to and that even then I may continue to need help. Once it is on I like the fit. Getting out, not so much...

@All:
Well, I dont mind to ask for help wit a zip up or a tug, but as solo diver I won't always be in a position to ask, so I still appreciate further thoughts ob sequence, wiggle / shimmy technique, which slippery dive skin to consider looking into, how exactly to hook up a tank to blow that thing off my arms...

:rofl3:

The technique you want to copy is that of a woman doing the control top panty hose or Spanx dance.

@Marie13 - I'll take spanx over the 7mm suit any day!! But I guess I have 20 years of practice perfecting the spanx dance.. so I'll just keep working on the suit :wink:

:rofl3:

The technique you want to copy is that of a woman doing the control top panty hose or Spanx dance.
Wait, people do that dance even without any diving as reward for all the trouble? No way!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom