Hello F Lauderdale! (march)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temp is likely to be 70-72 degrees. Air temp in 60's to 80's with little to no humidity, though there can be occasional colder snaps. Marine conditions anywhere from flat calm to 12 foot waves in which case all boats will be cancelled. Winter is very unpredictable in south Florida. Summer is warmer, both air and water temps and marine conditions usually very good

Sounds like a coin flip basically. We'll probably only have time to dive 1 day, but we can choose that day out of 4-5 available days. So hopefully we can get 1 good one in.

Whenever I have a quick stop in Ft. Lauderdale I have used Sea Experience in the past. The staff are professional/organized and the boats are well maintained. If you do take a ride up to Jupiter I have dove with Capt. Sl8r on the Kyalami. Nice crew and boat. My wife keeps asking to return to dive with the crew of the Kyalami.

www.seaxp.com

https://jupiterscubadiving.com

I ended up booking one boat am with pompano dive center Mar 22. I may sign up for an afternoon as well.

However I'm learning that to see your lemon sharks, one must head a bit north and my friend isn't willing to drive.
I'm not often in FL so I think I'm going to have to look into it more because I'd really like to do this.

I'm curious though - Are these chum dives? Or just about visiting an area they frequent?

Lemon sharks aggregation is a unique experience, and I for one have not had the pleasure yet. I have been unable to work it into my schedule. I have done the Goliath Grouper Aggregation dive with the Kyalami crew and Cat. Sl8r. It was a great experience. I have looked into returning to Jupiter to dive with the Kyalami crew; the Jupiter Dive Center and even Emerald charters as well for the Lemon sharks, but just doesn't work with my schedule. At the time Captain Sl8r said his dives were drift and not chummed. Things may have changed over the past couple years so I'll have to defer to you contacting them or from any SB members recent experience.

As for your dive in Ft Lauderdale. I only hear good things about all the shops down there. You can't go wrong.
Here is one of my recent videos I did on the Robert Edmister wreck.

Remember Always dive safe and have FUN!

So it seems to me that if I'm going to head to Florida and be around Fort Lauderdale it behooves me to get to Jupiter to see your lemons!
I'm guessing the best thing is to rent a car and drive up the night before to stay so I can do the three tank dives Emerald Charters offers.
Unfortunately my friend that I'm staying with is most likely unwilling to dive (nor does he have the right certs anyway).
Does this sound like the best option?

Anyone interested? I'm looking at doing this March 23.
I've also booked 2 am and 2 pm dives on the 22nd of March with Pompano Dive Center as recommended to me on this thread.

Good thread, like so many. Allows us to forge plans for when we finally get to go...
And I am a chicken, because I have you know that
Water temp is likely to be 70-72 degrees. Air temp in 60's to 80's with little to no humidity, though there can be occasional colder snaps. Marine conditions anywhere from flat calm to 12 foot waves in which case all boats will be cancelled.
In that case I cancel any shore diving I might have thought of doing too...

So it seems to me that if I'm going to head to Florida and be around Fort Lauderdale it behooves me to get to Jupiter to see your lemons!
I'm guessing the best thing is to rent a car and drive up the night before to stay so I can do the three tank dives Emerald Charters offers.
Unfortunately my friend that I'm staying with is most likely unwilling to dive (nor does he have the right certs anyway).
Does this sound like the best option?

Anyone interested? I'm looking at doing this March 23.
I've also booked 2 am and 2 pm dives on the 22nd of March with Pompano Dive Center as recommended to me on this thread.

Just finished a quick visit in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. I did use South Beach Dive shop for the first time to assist in organizing one of my days of diving. I was surprised how organized they were and that they could quickly place me on charters in the area. They offered me a place on Emerald Charters for the Lemon Shark dive, but I wouldn't have been in town on the day of the dive. They looked at my schedule and placed me on a dive charter out of the the Keys doing the Duane wreck. They even offered to transport me if I needed it. Kumimonster If your looking for a group to dive with give this shop a call. They placed me with a nice group of advanced divers to do the Duane. maybe you'll have similar luck organizing the Lemon Shark dive for yourself. Here is their link.

South Beach Divers, Voted Best Scuba Diving Center in Miami

Good thread, like so many. Allows us to forge plans for when we finally get to go...
And I am a chicken, because I have you know that

In that case I cancel any shore diving I might have thought of doing too...

Haha! But that water temp just seems fine to me! Sure I'd love the 80+ that some tropical spots offer up, but at home for me it's usually around 50. So I'll take that 70 and leave cold water wetsuits at home!

thank you
Just finished a quick visit in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. I did use South Beach Dive shop for the first time to assist in organizing one of my days of diving. I was surprised how organized they were and that they could quickly place me on charters in the area. They offered me a place on Emerald Charters for the Lemon Shark dive, but I wouldn't have been in town on the day of the dive. They looked at my schedule and placed me on a dive charter out of the the Keys doing the Duane wreck. They even offered to transport me if I needed it. Kumimonster If your looking for a group to dive with give this shop a call. They placed me with a nice group of advanced divers to do the Duane. maybe you'll have similar luck organizing the Lemon Shark dive for yourself. Here is their link.

South Beach Divers, Voted Best Scuba Diving Center in Miami
for the info.
I'm not particularly looking for a group to dive with but i figured if anyone was interested in that day...
I'm already an hour north of Miami. So if I'm going to go out with Emerald then I'll just drive directly to them! I think that might be easiest - unless they'd like to pick me up along the way! :-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom