Huracan Bound in 2 Weeks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took that to mean you can't drink your own stuff inside. We were planing on drinking outside. In hammocks preferably.

I think that there is a law in Belize that prevents guests from taking their own booze to resorts.... that's my understanding anyway. In the height of idiocy, we used to smuggle rum from Canada to Belize to drink at Turneffe Island Resort, only because the drinks were ridiculously expensive... Like $12 US or $16 CDN.

At Huracan, this isn't the case. Drinks are very reasonably priced and largely on the honour system...

That makes sense since I saw that request at other resorts. The pricing still seems a little pricey though. 11$ for cocktails and 4$ for belekin. Maybe that's in Belize dollars though.

That makes sense since I saw that request at other resorts. The pricing still seems a little pricey though. 11$ for cocktails and 4$ for belekin. Maybe that's in Belize dollars though.

I honestly don't recall... we aren't big drinkers anyway when we are diving, so it's not a big issue for us. One thing at Huracan, is that the owner Bernard Duerre, is a former French vintner. As a result, the place has a well-stocked wine cellar and he's big on pairing food with the meal being served. You can rack up a pretty good bill with that if you aren't careful. Mrs. Stoo likes good wine, but she'll generally only have a glass or two with dinner, and then the bottle gets re-corked and kept for next day.

Last edited:
Boy, if that were true, we'd still be in jail!

Same. When we used to go to Turneffe Island Resort, we would smuggle rum from Canada.... which seemed ridiculous... Conveniently, the lodge left jugs of juicy stuff everywhere.

There's a duty free right at the luggage pickup area at the airport. Always recommended to pick up a bottle or two, if one is so inclined.

Stoo, I'll bet you could easily confirm that the $11 and $4 are Belize dollars. I'd be surprised if they're charging $4 US for a Belikin.

Stoo, I'll bet you could easily confirm that the $11 and $4 are Belize dollars. I'd be surprised if they're charging $4 US for a Belikin.

At TIR, they were definitely US$$. It was punishing... Draft was fine (and cold and good), it was the mixed drinks unless you ordered the "daily special". I think Mrs. Stoo personally put George The Bartender's kids though college.

Huracan, is less... maybe $3 tops for beer... about the same for a rum and something... With numerous freebies it seems, on special occasions. Like Wednesdays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom