Wreck diving: Connecting yourself to the Anchor line on descending/ascending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As well as using your elbow to hold the line you can wrap one ankle/fin around it. I'm right handed and wear both my watch and computer on the right wrist--no big deal. Of course, I also comb my hair (what's left of it) like a lefty, but I am unusual (ask my wife).

Add a large camera into this situation and things get especially fun. I don't dive out in NC, but when we dive in the St. Lawrence, the current is typically very strong, especially in the top 30' or so... I don't normally tie off, but I have on occasion, simply because my one hand is hanging on to my camera, one hand is hanging on to the line and one hand is fiddling with all the stuff that always seems to need fiddling with during a deco stop.

...I have noticed, during ascent, that I often either have to contort my right arm in such a way that my wrist computer is facing me or I constantly have to switch hands as I check/make adjustments during the ascent. (I know that I can turn my computer around so that the screen rests on the inside of my wrist but I often find this an awkward distraction during the dive itself.)...

All good advice, thanks. The only thing that precludes me wearing the computer on my left hand is that I'm left handed and I always like keeping it free since I am most dexterous with it. And your right, I'm sure with time this will become a process that is second nature.

I'm left-handed as well & agree with you that having the computer on your right wrist is easier. I also agree a lot of this will be resolved with more experience. I wouldn't add anything to the line as personally, I think it becomes a crutch during recreational dives even if you choose a safe method. Figuring out what works better for you in terms of hand/computer placement will serve you better in the long run. While I know you said that your computer is a distraction if you turn it around so it faces the inside of your wrist, but that is likely because you are new to diving. Things I found uncomfortable at dive 10, 20 or 30, I don't even think about now. I've found having the computer on the inside of my wrist is not only helpful for ascent & decent, but also allows me to easily check it during the dive without much movement.

I have my computer point in on the left. Everything I need to look at is on my left that way. By having it pointing in I can see my comp while having my hand on the inflator also.

You can use a jon line if there's really that much current, but please don't clip any rope/line to yourself...

In Sydney we always dive by descending and ascending the anchor line. I have my computers not on my wrist, but higher up just below the elbow, on the inside. This way they always face me, no matter which way my hand rotates, as the computer only turns a small amount. Try it and you will see what I mean.

As others have mentioned, you do not need to constantly watch it, you should know your ascent rate by the bubbles from your breath. You should also have little need to look at your SPG unless you are so low on air it is going to be a problem.

Hope this helps.

i dive NC a fair amount. I like to carry a camera so I leave the right side open for the camera. Its strap is hooked on the right. Computer on the left wrist. Pony (AL 19) slung on the left side. Reel and SMB hooked on below the pony on the left. Use left and right hands for the anchor line. At some point on the way up I will "stow" the camera by shortening the stap etc. During this time I will just wrap left arm around the line still leaving me two hands to make any adjustments. I also prefer to dump air on the way up with a gentle tugs on the inflator hose. That can be done with right or left hand.

Since you state you use your left hand to look at your SPG, incorporate your computer into the SPG then...Then all information will be in your left hand...right hand free then.

I started out with my computer on my right wrist for a lot of the same reasons, left handed, needing left hand to control buoyancy and so forth. That has changed and I now have my computer on my left wrist as it was stated earlier it just simplified things all the more. SPG is on left D-Ring, I use left hand to pull it, look at computer at same time. use left hand to manage buoyancy and look at the computer at the same time. It really does simplify the more experience you get. As far as computer goes, do what is comfortable for you now, you can always change it up later.

During the ascent or descent I (almost) never check my spg.

Before I enter the water I check my spg. During descent I will check depth and time.At the bottom or wreck when arrived at depth I will check spg, time, depth and valves.

Before ascent I will check time, depth, average depth and SPG. There should be enough gas in my tank(s) for me x 1.5 and my buddy x 1.5 for the planned ascent. For a simple rec dive there is no reason for me to check my spg during the ascent. During the ascent I will check time and depth.

During the dive I check depth and time much more than my spg. But off course I will check my SPG to make sure that I have enough gas in my tanks when I thumb the dive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom