Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. We share the same problem. I dumped them for the same reason. They are bulky and heavy. (I use a weight harness). I prefer to keep the waist strap avail for knives, lights, cutters etc.

Interesting. We share the same problem. I dumped them for the same reason. They are bulky and heavy. (I use a weight harness). I prefer to keep the waist strap avail for knives, lights, cutters etc.

There's actually quite a bit of waist belt room left if that's the desire. I can fit another pocket on there easily, although if I'm wearing enough exposure suit to need weight pockets I'm thinking I'll have thigh pockets, which I think I'll prefer.

Disclaimer: I'm a total noob who has done more diving in his imagination than in reality.

Trying to locate stuff on your belt underwater is much trickier than doing it in your living room. I practice this in the pool and in the quarry until I can reach everything without thinking. Let us know how it works out.

Disclaimer: I'm a total noob who has done more diving in his imagination than in reality.

Even with thousands of real dives in the logbook, still do more imagination dives when not diving. Love it so much and can't have enough :)

The hydros Pro is my first upgrade from a second hand BC i'd been using for over 5 years. Honestly, I've had the worst diving experience after spending $850 on this BC :(

Yes, it's light... Yes it dries quick ... Yes the neoprene is good but there are two huge problems I keep facing:

1) I'm having serious issues with the bladder/ air cell setup inflating abnormally. Every dive I've done with this BC (in the sea and in the pool), I've had a constant issue that I keep tilting either left or right. Essentially, the inflation is not occurring uniformly, or the air is not moving around the aircell in a balanced manner.

I essentially spend the whole dive wiggling trying to get air through to the other side so that I don't keep tilting one side.

I would love the other members on this forum to suggest what I could do to solve the above issue

2) The BCD keeps slipping upwards and now in hindsight I wish I had the cummerband; I'm going to try the crotch strap

Once again thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have

I'm going to try the crotch strap

had to install a crotch strap on our old knighthawk and ladyhawk BCDs. it helps immensely!

as for the wing not inflating normally; how much ballast weight and what exposure are you using? i had the same issue with said knighthawk, and it 'resolved' itself once i removed a few pounds of ballast, which reduced the amount of gas needing to be maintained in the wing.

how much ballast weight and what exposure are you using?

Hi Alex and thanks for the assistance. So the suit was a 6mm the last time i went diving; that said i've gone diving in tropical waters in Bali and hardly used any weights. At the very least, I can assure that the amount of air I'm filling the BC with is not much? I had my dive instructor who's been diving for a number of years also see the same problem.

Do you reckon the BC is faulty?

@Chinny crotch strap will solve your lifting problems, even with the cummerbund the crotch strap is necessary to provide adequate stability at the surface.

Regarding the wobbliness. Go head down a bit and arch your back forwards a little bit to allow the air to balance across the bottom of the air cell. That will work much better than going a bit head up to let it balance and settle out. Only takes a second or two but you need to open the crossover on the bottom of the air cell

I had to laugh today. I'm diving in Puerto Galera in the Philippines. The DM looked at my Hydros and said this was the second one he had seen. The boat captain chirped from the stern: "Yes that diver also had a Rolex and a Porsche!".

Seriously...I had a similar experience with mine rolling around then reduced my weights and problem was solved. I do not use a crotch strap but will add one for better stability at the surface.

Back
Top Bottom