What is the best Solution to warm yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something to keep in mind. Once you get cold (and especially hypothermic) you do not want to warm the body from the outside. That draws blood to the skin away from the core (internal organs). Instead you want to heat the core by drinking hot liquids - something like soup but not coffee or black tea. Diuretics are not good. And then wrap in a blanket. A hot shower is probably the worst thing you can do if hypothermic.

I like the idea of the heat provided by cristalization? I would put the pack between my undervest and my wetsuit in my back rather than my tummy like you did.

Funny to see that nobody is talking about LAvacore, Sharkskin or Ceramics coates undervest as superior to neoprene. Any thoughs on those?
During warmer water months I dive in a Sharkskin or Fourth Element and stay warm. As the water temps drop (usually starting in November) I add my Scubapro 2 mm hooded vest and stay warm. In January I started using my 5mm wetsuit along with my 2 mm hooded vest and a heavy rash guard. My last dive (two weeks ago) showed the temp at 90 feet was 68-69 degrees. I'll wear this configuration until the water is about 76-78 degrees and then go back to my Sharkskin. I really hate wearing neoprene because I have to use 8 lbs of weight (I dive steel 80's) but it definitely keeps me warmer. With my Sharkskin or Fourth Element I use 2 lbs but could actually use none. I'm a real wuss when the water gets cold. We moved to Florida to dive all year round so I do what I need to so I stay warm in the winter waters.

They undergo an exothermic reaction which turns the internal liquid into a solid, so they get stiff, but you can place one over your belly. I never wore one directly in contact with the skin,
https://www.amazon.com/HEAT-WAVE-In...1488071283&sr=8-1&keywords=chemical+heat+pack

Curious about these. Do I understand this correctly:
Once they are activated they'll generate warmth for maybe 30 minutes.
After they have been recharged in hot water, they then can cool down, sit there "indefinitely" and still will generate heat upon mechanical activation (snapping some disk inside). - correct?

Wondering: If so, could one not extend "warming time" by inserting two such packs (one tummy left, one tummy right...), but activate them (or at least the second one) when wanted during the dive, not prior?
Might that disc be snappable UW & through the wetsuit? Or not really?

yes correct. It is a reversible chemical reaction. No you can't access the disc if it is tucked into the wetsuit.

Which size do you recommend, Dumpster Diver? Heat wave Hot to Go...Other brand?

I have only owned and used one heat pack. I used it many times for commercial golf ball diving in cold water and this was maybe 15 years ago. They don't throw out a tremendous amount of heat, so I think I would recommend the largest pack that you can comfortably wear in your suit.

Sorry I don't have more detailed or current information on these devices. They really can make the second or third tank of the day much more comfortable when your core temperature has already been lowered. Once this occurs, insulation is not really the solution.

You need to add an external heat source and/or increase your metabolism and heat generation by exercise and consumption of calorie rich food. I know exercise after a dive is not recommended due to decompression issues, but a few sets of 20 reps of deep knee bends that gets the large quad muscles working can begin to generate some heat, before the dive.

You need to stay warm between dives too. I'll use a rubber raincoat or similar that breaks any wind and hinders my wetsuit from allowing evaporation to decrease its warmth on the surface. A hood with a neck but I've also been known to wear a scape under my beanie and something else for a scarf.

You are right chillinginCanada. During intervel between the two dives, I resorted to take away the top of the wetsuit, put on a tee shirt, a sweater and a wind braker......all of this in the Philippines. Quite windy during that week . Unusual weather, I was told :(

low-cost "solutions" I've used:

Hoodie vest. and a couple of those triathlon-type swim caps underneath it.
You using tropical gloves?? playtex gloves underneath warm your hands.

Exhale through your nose-a lot. It will warm your face within the mask, and the warm air exiting the mask skirt, will rise upward into your hood, warming your head. Mmmmmmmmm..

And---drink lots of water. Pee in wet suit mid-dive. Call it thermal fluid heating. Many who will tell you they don't do this, do.

Back
Top Bottom