Easiest Access to Tech Diving on the East Coast of the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious as to whether the goal is to hit a particular depth(range), or work with decompression? If boat diving is a practical necessity, would a technical boat charter out of North Carolina to an offshore wreck, or out of Jupiter, FL, offer what he's after? Jupiter Dive Center had a tec. boat heading out when I was on another boat (I'm rec. only), and I know N.C.'s got plenty of deep wrecks such as around 100 feet.

Richard.

For tec diving in the ocean on the East Coast Jupiter is hard to beat. Great viz, warm water and lots of dive boats. The current can be strong so you could have an unwanted ride north if things go wrong but it isn't that far offshore to deep water at all. I don't know about the Great Lakes but I did the Jodrey in the St Lawrence and it was right off the bank. Sadly it is a Coast Guard station so we went in a boat. There might be a way to access it without a boat but I don't know. I do know there are other wrecks in the area that people scooter to. Also it isn't ocean diving but definitely not cave diving and I consider it East Coast but others might not.

Thanks. Jupiter was one of the places I was thinking of. Maybe why John Chatterton picked it.

No interest in training sites. This is for regular trimix diving (i.e., 165 to 300 ft range), in the ocean, on the East Coast.

Rhode Island or off the Cape in MA?

Well East Port Maine has some amazing dives. I am told that you can easily do a 100 foot dive from the shore in Passamaquoddy Bay. Does it get deeper? Possible.

I am not a tech diver (yet) but I can suggest calling Giant strides dive shop in Warwick RI as they lead dives to deep wrecks and the Uboat off Block Island. East Coast Divers in Brookline Ma is serious tech divers, dry suit, ice divers, and they lead dives off the Northeast Coast from Cape Cod to Cape May and beyond. There are other great LDS too in this area.

jupiter is not the place. You should be using a boat because the potential for getting run over by a boat is too large and the currents will make it very hard or impossible to return to your starting point. I think the area with the quickest drop is Boynton Beach, absolutely much steeper shore than jupiter and I am 99% sure it is steeper than palm beach.

I don't know about the Great Lakes but I did the Jodrey in the St Lawrence and it was right off the bank.

I did 8 different wrecks up there, all right around where the Jodrey is. There are a lot of great wrecks, including numerous offering technical depths, in that area. Short boat rides, and no real worries of getting blown out. I love it up there!

Great Lakes?

There's not really anything "technical" that's "available" off the east coast unless you're already ready for the big leagues, and if you were ready for the big leagues you're not here asking where to go diving.

The Jodrey hit the Pullman Shoal and came to rest at the Coast Guard Station dock, where she sank in 240 ft of water. The CG station is on Wellesley Island.

Fort Lauderdale has great Tech diving. And a wide range of depths

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom