Lavacore full suit skin recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to purchase a Lavacore full suit skin to wear under the rental wet suit at Monterey for the OW cert. Having only dived warm water in the past this appears to be a good option to be a little warmer. Is it realistic to assume I'll be happy with my body temp?

Thanks for the reply. Apparently only very small or very large left in stock. I'm either a LG or an XL.

My question is I dont like the 7 mm wet suits. How would the lavacore work under a 5 mil or is it worth it?

Mysteriosos M-Tech lineare another good alternative. They are a neoprene fleece blend, where as Lavacore is a non-neoprene polyester fleece.

I personally think Mysteriosos work better at keeping you warm. They wick way more the water away from your skin where as the Lavacore doesn't even come close. The downside is Mysteriosos are "fluffier" and don't really help you glide into your suit like a Lavacore can.

Have you touched/tried a Lavacore garment? My better half bought a top on-line and sent it back (thank you Leisure Pro for your return policy). It didn't feel soft or stretchy at all when dry, and the sleeves were so skinny she didn't even want to bother getting it wet and trying it on.

I'm a big fan of sharkskin, but it's all the same stuff.

These materials claim to be equal to 2.5 mm of neoprene. I'm not so sure. I feel too cold in a one piece, but okay in a 3mm neoprene, but prefer the combo

I prefer the tops that have a thin latex neck seal to stop flushing.

I can attest that they breath. In the summer here (+120F) I can wear it dry on the boat, and it breaths. A rash vest on the other hand will over temp me because it doesn't breathe

My question is I dont like the 7 mm wet suits. How would the lavacore work under a 5 mil or is it worth it?
I've paired up a lavacore with a 3mm suit and it makes a good difference.

As for the feel of lavacore vs sharkskin, they are very very similar imo. I have a lavacore fullsuit. My wife has a sharkskin bottom. Other than the logos, they seem like they could have been made in the same factory.

Another option would be Frogskins by Probe wetsuits in Australia. They had very good reviews, so I decided to go that route. The suit is multi-layered with a quick dry fleece inner lining. I have not gotten a chance to dive it yet, but it is very warm on the surface and the construction is very high quality.

Back
Top Bottom