Harness webbing information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The h's are made equidistant from the bolt hole in the middle of the webbing.
They're pretty useful if you alternate between a thin wetsuit in the tropics and a dry suit at home, also good for ensuring your shoulder straps are the same length and for tweaking lengths if you're having trouble with trim

I don't think the fact the grommet is exactly center does any of the advantage you mention. In order to have advantages like easy to making consistent adjustment, the grommet also need to lineup with the H logo (either center between 2 Hs, or at exactly the middle of a H) consistently across all the webbings. Otherwise, you can't use the Hs for alignment purpose. And I can say for sure, the gromments are NOT aligned that way. And don't forget, with small backplate, the webbing does NOT have gromment or holes at all.

Are you sure?
These are a couple that have worn out over the years, one is probably 10 years old and the other is like 4 and its the same as the one on my current backplate even though the H's are an antisocial hipster yellow color instead of the regular blue.

You could also use non-printed webbing and sew in some red or yellow or blue thread at different spots, I have a tough sewing machine for sailboat canvas and sails that punches through this webbing pretty nicely and any canvas shop could help you out with that. I place a couple of triglides in the webbing at the bottom of the shoulder straps to keep it all in place and if they slide out of place a little after a while its easy to get them back into the right spot.

also what do you mean by small backplate not having a grommet? do some backplates not put the bolt hole in line with where the webbing crosses over the top. I've only had a halcyon SS and a dive rite aluminum one.

Attachments

• H webbing.jpg
    H webbing.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 334
I checked mine, and my shoulder d-ring are not at the same position with respect to the H. So I can't use the H to gauge if my r-ring are at the same height. I can upload a picture later today.

As to smaller plate, yes, it has a bolt hole, but the webbing doesn't pass on top of the bolt hole, so no gromment or hole are needed in the webbing. If you order H webbing, you have option to choose with gromment or not

I'm considering getting the DSS BP/W setup as my first BC. Does anyone recommend buying Halcyon webbing initially and not using the webbing the set comes with? Will this webbing be compatible with the DSS parts or should I just stick with the webbing that comes with the DSS set up. I would rather not set it all up then decide I would prefer a different webbing. Am I thinking too much about it?

I think you are thinking about it too much.

Try the provided webbing. It's free and I don't see many if any complaints about how they love the rig but hate the webbing.

And don't be in a hurry to trim the webbing. You can always cut more later, adding back the 1/2" you shouldn't have cut costs money and is annoying busywork.

I hate the grommets on harness webbing. I have yet to have one actually line up with a hole on the plate, it's usually at least a little off center (although it looks like the fancy H webbing comes offset, that would make two H things I like!). And even if it did line up, you would have the plate, then grommeted webbing, then the grommeted wing, then the tank sitting on top of a 1/2 inch of grommets in a single tank set up.

I just order bulk webbing and if I need to make a hole to trim out properly a hot pokey thing is my friend. I've also thought to cut out the center piece that runs over the bolt holes and just run the webbing through a triglide to hold it in place on the back side of the plate. Haven't attempted it yet though.

-Chris

I'm considering getting the DSS BP/W setup as my first BC. Does anyone recommend buying Halcyon webbing initially and not using the webbing the set comes with? Will this webbing be compatible with the DSS parts or should I just stick with the webbing that comes with the DSS set up. I would rather not set it all up then decide I would prefer a different webbing. Am I thinking too much about it?

Just a bit. :)

Tobin

Use the included webbing. If for whatever reason you don't like it, ask about it, and we may be able to nudge you in the right direction. Most people can't tell a significant difference in the webbing, but since you don't know what you don't know, I'd argue that you're better off buying it as is for now, and if you don't like it, then you know what you won't like about it and will make a better argument in terms of what you ultimately want. For harness webbing it basically boils down to more stiff or less stuff. In anything more than a 3mm, I personally can't tell any subtle differences and as long as it is stiff enough to hold the rough shape in the shoulders, I'm happy. The DSS webbing on both of my backplates are stock and I am quite happy. That is coming over well over a thousand hours in a Halcyon Eclipse 30 setup with stock webbing without any sort of upper body protection. Some people may be able to to tell a difference, but I can't when in use. As a textile engineer I can identify each of them individually without any logo markings, but in use I can't find an appreciable difference

No, no need to get different webbing. DSS one is actually very good. We are nip picking here. In fact, I think the thickness of DSS webbing will work the best with the DSS plate because it has rubber grommet in the plate slots. Halcyon webbing is slightly thinner and smoother. I wonder if H webbing will stay in DSS plate grommets as well as DSS. I don't DSS plate anymore, but I do have H and DSS webbing at this point. This is based on my memory of how DSS plate looks like.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom