Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bay Island Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello,

I am working on developing some pages on my website that help people study for the Instructor and Divemaster theory exams.

I have got the first few pages and videos posted now. I am hoping to get some feedback on the content layout and flow of the site. I don't want to spend many more hours on it if it won't help anyone!!

So anyone who has time and would like to let me know what you think i would really appreciate it.

The site can be found here: PADI Dive Theory Learning Center.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Will

I have to ask why? PADI has dive theory online eLearning. As a course director should you not promote their product? Is this within standards, or is borderline acceptable? Would PADI accept this as a substitute to their product? PADI dive theory can save time in a DM/ AI / IDC program as a substitute for dive theory presentations, I do not think your offering would as it not their product.

Last edited:
Getting people to think about what is happening instead of just plugging numbers into formulas is great teaching. I plan to forward your link, thanks!

I have to ask why? PADI has dive theory online eLearning. As a course director should you not promote their product?

The e-learning offered by PADI is a great product. The aim of what i am doing here is to compliment it, and provide many practice questions as well as teach a little exam technique.

Practice Practice Practice is the best preparation for the exams, so the more practice questions available the better! I have had a version of this online since 2007, but recently changed my site, and the old software i used is not compatible with my new site. Hence the refresh on it.

PADI Course directors and all PADI Pros are encouraged to help students understand the learning objectives in a manner that best suits their learning style. No PADI pro is required to ONLY use the PADI materials as teaching aids.

The IDC teaches this in the Knowledge development presentation. IDC candidates are required to gather training aids in addition to the PADI materials, as part of their presentation. One of the most common ways this is achieved is through at the use whiteboard.

These nifty digital whiteboards allow you to pre-record an alternative explanation or clarification.

Most good course directors supply extra materials, in addition to the PADI materials they are required to own, to help their students study for the exams.

Last edited:
I have to ask why? PADI has dive theory online eLearning. As a course director should you not promote their product? Is this within standards, or is borderline acceptable? Would PADI accept this as a substitute to their product? PADI dive theory can save time in a DM/ AI / IDC program as a substitute for dive theory presentations, I do not think your offering would as it not their product.

This is completely within standards - we have no obligation to promote Dive Theory Online as it is not required material, we can use the Diving Knowledge Workbook instead (which I prefer). Possibly your CD made it a 'requirement' it as he/she was enjoying the revenue share with PADI for selling the product - there is no revenue share on the Workbook....

As the OP pointed out this is not intended as a substitute for a PADI product - it's a supplementary teaching aid to help students understand even better. Repetition and alternate explanations of concepts is expected of instructors/CD. We must use all materials listed in the CD Manual as 'required', but we can also use additional materials/study notes. I use the Workbook and also have some dive theory study notes that I give my students.

I fully agree with the OP when he states the more practice the better for the theory...

The last IDC we did here in Kwajalein I saw how some of our candidates were not as prepared for the exams as I would have liked for them. Going forward...we are do a lot more PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, all starting in the Divemaster program.

The last IDC we did here in Kwajalein I saw how some of our candidates were not as prepared for the exams as I would have liked for them. Going forward...we are do a lot more PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, all starting in the Divemaster program.

I have noticed this 'drop' recently too - over the last couple of years. Might be a coincidence, but it seems in that time span there has also been an increase in the number of 'free internships' being advertised. I have many IDC candidates now who have no clue about the knots, and most can't use the RDP at all, and barely the eRDPml - even though all of those should be mastered during a DM course...

That's why I too put a dive theory section on my website, with some RDP/eRDPml questions too. I direct my students to it when they have booked...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom